Chapter 2: overworked

She sat down in a cold musky room, and stared at the tapes that played over and over again, had she missed something? This case seemed to be just what it seemed...a drunk driver accident, "The glasses though why? Would they be over contacts? What the man that blind?" She grumbled, she reached into her drawer and found a small clear bag. It was evidence of a partial print she had found at one of these many 'drunk driver' deaths. "Ugh 20 in the last month! We need to put a law on partying." She grumbled again. This print, however, was not the victims. The victim at that crime scene had been a young girl about her age, *poor thing..* she thought. The print was not hers though, and she had not been able to figure out whose it was! "Kris you can go home, you have been working for hours." Her boss said walking in, "Thanks Mr. Harold but I need to stay." He rolled his eyes, "Kris it was just a drunk accident we've had a lot this year, nothing new, why are you so fascinated by this?" He asked, "Because I think they are somehow all connected." Kris answered stubbornly, "how?"
"Well I found this partial print at one of the crime scenes in New York. Then I saw someone wandering the forests here in Jersey, plus I am FBI I shouldn't be getting called in at all for Drunk driver cases. The only connection I can find is they all have a rare and dangerous form of coke." Mr. Harold nodded, "Your right Kris you are FBI and it is strange we keep getting called about these, but there is no evidence of foul play anywhere. We need to find the identity of this drug dealer and put him behind bars and move on." Kris nodded slowly he was right but her gut told her something else. There was inter workings she had not seen yet...whatever he's probably right. No foul play.
Case closed.
"Mr. Harold?" She asked just as he was leaving, "Yes?" He answered, "Put some new laws on drinking, I'm sick of going to these crime scenes." He laughed, "will do." And with that he was gone.
++++++++
"Finally! Food." Kris said walking in to the restaurant. "Kris! Over here!" Yelled one of her best friends Lauren she was an artist and even owned her own gallery, "Hey Lauren. How was work?" She asked, "Great! I painted a new picture, involving a lightning storm and a girl running under it. It is kind of a fantasy landscape." Kris laughed, "Of course it is! I can't wait to see it!" The girls laughed again *i sometimes wish I could live a normal life* Kris thought listening to her friend go on and on about how she had no life. "So how's your work?" Lauren finally asked, "Good, we keep getting called in for drunk driving accidents and I have no idea why!"
"Yikes that stinks." Kris nodded she needed to change the subject before she spoke to much, "Shall we order?"