23. The Scarecrow (Sesshomaru, Jinenji) - Fluff

Picture a frail little hare, nestling gullibly in a wild dog's embrace, and that would well fit the scene that welcomed Sesshomaru into his wake. In spite of the cold that immersed the clearing this morning, the warmth that came from his side kept him in comfort.

Perhaps it was not so gullible this time around. The little hare had grown accustomed to his menacing fangs and hungry tongue to the point she seemed to like the taste of them now. Maybe then she was no longer a prey. Who would have known the predator himself would love the red from her eyes instead of her blood.

He eyed the woman on her left, who had found peaceful slumber on top of his fur pelt. Her hands grabbed hold of some of his hair strands, holding it close as if fearing he would leave her side overnight. Was she sleeping well? Would she wake up today with a newfound respect for herself?

There was no sleep-talking. No puffy eyes. No peculiar red bumps clumsily hidden beneath her bangs. He carefully lifted some of her hair to look at her neck. Right beside her jugular was a faint discoloration, signifying an upcoming bruise; it was the particular spot he had suckled on a little bit too often last night.

900 years worth of life and not one single lesson had prepared Sesshomaru for that moment, ultimately letting lust get the better of him. Something about her scent felt intoxicating, almost like a drug. He wondered whether that so-called restraint would suit them well should any of such opportunity arises once more. As he planted an apologetic peck on her forehead, something tickled his cheeks.

Shiho's lashes moved ever so slightly. Her breathing pattern had changed, suggesting she had woken up but was attempting to hide it through minimum movement.

"..you are awake," he tested. Yet it provoked no response or reaction.

He furrowed his brows. She was clearly aiming for something. It wasn't until he kissed those stubborn eyelids that she finally admitted defeat, tittering sheepishly.

"Guess who forgot to put up a protective barrier again," she dragged her tone up, as well as her eyes.

"Do not make it a habit when I am not around."

"Is it okay for you to leave Jaken-sama alone this often?"

"..I find it ridiculous that you address him this way, and not me," he fumed at the jeering water spirit. "Jaken is capable of holding his own."

She snuggled to his neck. Her recent smiles seemed to reach her eyes with relative ease, which was quite gratifying. She then said through a muffled whisper, "you know, anyone could come any minute and see us last night."

"Is it not a good thing that we moved under the trees?"

"It is. That's why I think we should start from there next time."

He snorted. He never recalled this 'next time' being discussed at any point, but apparently it was already a mutually shared idea.

"Right, then." Having earned enough rest, Shiho slithered herself away slightly, making room to stretch her limbs. She tucked the hair strands she had been holding to Sesshomaru's ear, before gently lifting her body up. "A bath is due. I assume you have things to do today, too, Sesshomaru-sama?"

Following suit, he gathered his fur pelt from the ground and straightened his hankimono, smelling strong bouts of mint on it. He looked back at Shiho, making note of her appearance before flatly declaring, "I will return. Be mindful of your ankle."

"Oh, wait."

She had trotted to the lake when Sesshomaru summoned his yoki, laxly dispelling huge black bruises that had appeared on his upper arm. When she returned to his side, something rested in her palm, glinting under the sunlight's flare.