11. The Chameleon (Sesshomaru)

Several black hair strands brushed against Sesshomaru's nose as he half-rolled his eyes

Several black hair strands brushed against Sesshomaru's nose as he half-rolled his eyes. The unruly questions swirling in his head seemed to be both far and tauntingly close to getting answered. The quiet sky didn't provide much aid to cool him down, let alone the presence of someone in his arm.

He raised his head, giving the dark landscape a scan. The two-headed dragon was nowhere to be seen. Was a week not enough to deliver mere herbs? The spitting image of his vassal riled down on him like a pet peeve, and as he envisioned another hit to his puny head, a pair of skinny arms tightened around his neck. His eyes followed the owner.

Hiding from the moonlight beside him were a pair of unblinking red eyes, staring down towards the far grounds. The hurried beating from her chest gave the impression that even the slightest of movement from him could stop it dead.

"I'm sorry," the girl muttered without returning the look. Perhaps noticing how hard she's clinging, she cautiously removed one of her hands and let it grab onto the fur on his shoulder instead. Those thin fingers were freezing cold.

"Cover your body," he then tiredly reminded, to which she heeded with a veiled embarrassment.

Much like defenseless hares in an open field, waiting for wild dogs to snatch them; the look on her face reminded Sesshomaru of how Jaken used to fear height before learning to ride his dragon. He decided to float lower, smoothly trajecting towards the lake. His arm had tightened its grip on its own, making sure whatever little frame she had didn't get blown away by the wind.

"How's your left arm?" She probed shakily as they glided past the calming fire pits. "Did you get any new injury?"

"If my return to this place looks like a cry for help to you, then you are wrong."

"..right. You're quite powerful," she steadied her voice, warm breath landing on his cheek. "Your venom alone could take down a boar that big. We're complete opposites."

"As such, do not level me with mortals who come to you for help."

"Noted."

"Do not wander into stray hands unless you want to be a prey."

"..look, I just thought I-"

"And stop looking down."

Right after this, an audible gulp made way into his ear. From the corner of his eyes he could make out a pale face, straining to hold back a certain dread while remaining quiet. Then a very small and squeaky "fine" sneaked into his ear in a somewhat childish manner. He scoffed.

"I didn't even realize that tiara was controlling me," she now whispered, forcing herself to just stare at something on his face. "I could clearly see - and feel - what that boar did.. but I couldn't break free. Lord condemn me if I don't wash my body after this."

"Were you not enjoying every last bit of it?" He said stiffly.

"..did it honestly look like that to you?"