13. The False Prey (Sesshomaru, Jaken)

Any strong yokai could use some help from time to time.

"..."

I know you said you never owe anyone, but I owe you.

"-curse you.."

That's why you saved me from Chokyukai? Not wanting to lose your prey to another predator?

"Curse you, you vile demon!"

A cry of agony rang clear as Sesshomaru lashed his light whip for the last time, effectively lacerating a circle of samurais who had been spending their entire dawn assaulting him. Arrows and torches were wasted just to peeve him, yet it seemed like they haven't learned such imbued weapons were as nugatory as his Tenseiga.

"Soju-sama, are you okay?!" One of them bellowed in pain, reaching out to who seemed to be the mastermind behind this banal assault. They were piling onto each other like a hold of squirming maggots, when one of them spoke over his convulsing body, stomach bleeding from a large gash: "wait, is this.. venom..?"

"You demon! Do you know what kind of havoc you've wrecked on us?!" Another followed.

"Confess! You must be the culprit behind Hakurei shrine's assault!"

"Why? Why are you doing this to us?!"

"Do not lay your petty problems on me," Sesshomaru drawled with rumbling throat

"Do not lay your petty problems on me," Sesshomaru drawled with rumbling throat. "In case I knocked your weak memory out, you were the ones who insisted to challenge me."

Then they cowered upon his flexing claws. He wondered, as he narrowed his eyes, why he even bothered to play along. Humans speak with their pointed fingers in lieu of sense, that even if he were to brief every fact in the world, they would still find a way to trim and fit it into their narrow frame of theory. 

He peered thickly at the poisoned human lord, who was now being hoisted onto a horse with the help of his henchmen. The man cast a dirty look that was perhaps meant to offend him but ultimately looked like he was holding back a vomit. "Like father, like son.. you've made yourself an enemy today, inu-yokai."

As a relatively quick solve, they scattered on the ground like ants, tainting the dried plains with their foul blood. Finally, something resembling of a wisdom.

"You are late, Jaken," he called after retracting his whip lazily. The imp had hastily landed behind him with his two-headed ride. He was about to shoot fire from his staff when he saw the last of those samurais scurrying away.

"Ah, those hideous humans! You should have let me at them too, Sesshomaru-sama!" He griped angrily at their trails. "Have they learned nothing after being completely annihilated last time?"