Chapter 9: Travelling With Mad Captain Leadfoot

It took Maud and her company a week to reach the English port city with a vessel bound for southern Ireland. It was a crowded place that reeked of fish and mildew and seemed to have a constant fog resting over it like a blanket. They wandered the streets, not knowing what exactly they were looking for. Except for Guy of course, who always knew the plans since he was the one who made them. Maud eyed the dark stone buildings coated in slime with curiosity and nervousness. The city was eerie compared to what she was used to, and not just because of the buildings. The people that walked the streets talked in hushed tones and eyed the company as they passed by, even more nervous than Maud was.

One stuck out though. She was a chesty woman with fire red hair that fell around her face in a straight curtain. She was dressed in a long, red shirt cinched at the waist by a black corset and black pants that hugged her thighs. Resting on her hips was a brown leather belt from which hung a short sword and her boots were made of black leather that hugged her entire calves and folded over at the knees. She watched the party with a look of boredom but when Guy saw her, he trotted over to her immediately.

"Why is Guy going over to her," Maud whispered to Sheridan, her hand tugging her skirt up as they followed Guy across the grimy road.

"Hell if I know," he mumbled back to her. He eyed the stranger nervously, taking in her proud stance and her arrogant demeanor.

As the company came to a halt beside Guy, the woman's eyes fell on Maud. "So this is the young Countess of Mantua," she remarked, taking in Maud's torn skirt and dirt covered dress. She reached out and cupped her chin with her hand. "Such a pretty young girl. Quite a pity that she has to live on the run."

Maud jerked her face away from the stranger. "Don't touch me," she growled. "I don't even know who you are."

The woman chuckled. "Of course you don't. You're of noble birth. A child like you wouldn't know half the pirates sailing the waters of the world."

So she's a pirate, Maud thought. But which one?

Guy touched the woman's shoulder. "Sadie, we should get moving. We do not know how many people are on Morik and Avery's side." He glanced around nervously before looking back at the pirate.

"Just be patient Guy. I need to make sure that this girl isn't going to be a lead brick while on my ship." She smirked as Maud narrowed her eyes.

"I am fully capable of taking care of myself," she snapped. "Just because i am of noble birth it does not mean i am helpless."

Sadie chuckled and placed a hand on her sword. "Is that so?"

Maud nodded once and straightened her back. "My father didn't leave me defenseless."

"Well then, let's see just how well he taught you."

Without warning Sadie yanked her sword out of it's sheath and swung it towards Maud's head. She leaned back, the tip of the sword passing right where her nose had been a second before. The strike left Sadie unbalanced for a moment and Maud took that opportunity to kick her just behind the knee. Sadie went down with a yelp of surprise and fumbled with the blade, almost dropping it. She regained her grip on it and swung it at Maud's legs, snagging the front of her skirt and tearing it all the way down to the bottom. Maud circled around her quickly as she stood back up. As Sadie swung again, this time at her throat, Maud grabbed Gareth's sword and drew it quickly, barely blocking the strike. The swords locked together at the hilts and the women were face to face, glaring at each other.

Sadie tore away and held up a hand. "I yield," she stated, a small satisfied smile on her lips. "You did better than i thought you would. Most people don't escape a duel with Captain Leadfoot without at least a few scratches."