chapter 1

lower case intended

venus stared at the words once again and squinted her eyes. saying she was confused was an understatement.

she looked up from the book to her classmates laughing and signing each others yearbooks.

she looked down again and stared at the page.

"venus!" a familiar voice called out, she looked up to see her best friend running towards her.

"hey kate," she greeted "have you checked out the yearbook yet?"

"nope, keaton and i were going to check it out together. why? is my picture bad?" she asked her eyes widening.

"no, you look great." venus assured her, "it's just the superlative this year is kinda.." she paused for a second, "wrong"

"why? did you get voted for something? did i get voted for something?" she asked and grabbed the yearbook from venus' hands and flipped to the superlative page.

venus bit her lip as she waited for her best friends reaction.

kate's mouth widened and turned to venus. "you got voted cutest couple?"

venus coughed, "yeah, and i don't even know the guy!" she exclaimed

she looked at the yearbook again and looked at the name next to hers. "i don't even have a class with-" she took a second look to make sure she got the right name, "with luke hemmings"

kate was still looking at the page, "he's kinda cute though"

"kate, you're not helping" venus whined.

"im just saying!" she replied "and who knows, you two might actually become a couple" she wiggled her eyebrows.

"yeah, why don't i just go to the office and speak to the microphone and announce, hello luke hemmings, i am venus roth and we got voted for cutest couple" she joked, "and i was wondering if you wanted to go out sometimes and actually date!"

"sure, sounds good to me" a deep voice replied behind her.

she quickly turned around and came face to chest, since the person was gigantic and she was tiny.

venus looked up to see a grinning blonde boy with a lip piercing.

"um-" she took a step back and briefly checked him out. he is good looking, "i was just joking.." she managed out

luke was still grinning, "then think of it as me asking you out on a date"

venus glanced at kate and saw her mouth was wide open and was staring at luke.

she blushed and bit her lip, "sure" she said quietly.

"i'll pick you up at 6 tomorrow then?"

"but you don't even know my name or my address" she blurted out.

"i know your name is venus" he smirked.

"please don't tell me you know my address" she widened her eyes.

luke laughed and shook his head "im afraid not"

venus told him her address and he waved goodbye.

she turned to kate who still was shocked, "earth to kate" she said and waved her hands in front of kates face.

"what just happened?" she asked when she got out of her state of shock.

"i think i just got a date" venus replied.