Chapter 2: Project Partners?

Everyone's eyes were fixated on her as she stepped in. She was striking. Dark charcoal hair, hazel eyes, rosy lips. She was beautiful. I adverted my eyes back to my textbook, fearing that our eyes would meet.

"I see someone is awfully late to class" said Miss Kerr

She rolled her eyes and sauntered down the aisle of desks. I looked around and realized that the only vacant seat, was next to me. The closer she got. The faster my heart raced. There was something about her. She made me feel different. I've never been this nervous. Why did I feel like this? Before I could regain control of my body, I heard the screeching sound of the chair feet dragging against the floor. She was next to me. All dressed in black. Black sweater, black pencil skirt, Black knee-high tights, and black boots. Mysterious, the only word I could describe her as. Her darkness was intriguing, I was stunned by her. She was different.

"What are you looking at nerd?" she said dangerously

"Uhhhh" I was dumbfounded

I quickly looked forward. I felt so idiotic. I was so lost in my thoughts that I was oblivious to the fact that I was staring at her. I was so embarrassed. I became flushed, my face became red. I could see her staring at me from the corner of my eye. It only made my nervousness intensify. I held onto my desk and pretended to look down, but she kept on staring. Her eyes were squinted, her deathly gaze sent shivers down my spine. She knew what she was doing. Suddenly, she burst out in laughter. I was confused and bewildered. I began to chuckle nervously and then she abruptly stopped laughing. Her face became blank. I returned to my tense state. Then she laughed out again. Was she mental?

"You should have seen your face" she spoke while laughing

I joined her in nervous laughter, confused as to what was transpiring before my eyes.

"I see we have two clowns in the class, don't we" Miss Kerr exclaimed, her eyes squinted at the both of us.

"Sorry Miss Kerr for displaying natural human behaviour" the girl spoke in a pretentious tone.

"Just be quiet and focus Miss Bailey" Miss Kerr replied.

Miss Kerr resumed her explanation of play writing. I felt so free in those mere seconds. For once the weight of the world had been lifted. It was her and her angelic smile. Miss Kerr had announced that the entire class had a project to submit at the end of the week. She told us we were required to write a short play on love as tribute to Shakespeare. I was ecstatic, I adored writing, it was my hobby. I couldn't wait to tackle this project.

"For this project, you all are to work in groups of two, no complaints ok" Miss Kerr announced.

"Pick a person to work with, and quietly please"

"I'm with the nerd!" mysterious girl yelled

"Miss Bailey! That is no way to refer to someone"

"Geez Sorry Miss Kerr"

Again, I was dumfounded and speechless. She came in like a whirlwind, so quickly yet gentle. I didn't even know her that well. Why would she want to work with me?

She turned in my direction, looking at me.

"You don't talk much, Do you?"

"Uhhhh, yeah" I stuttered

"Alice" she said with her hand out, beckoning a handshake

"Wi-Will" I said shaking her hand

I stared into her eyes. Weirdly, my nervousness had gone. Her eyes weren't hazel as I thought. They were green with specks of hazel in them. The bell rang.

"Well, Bye nerd...see you around" she said walking off

"Yeah see you around" I softly spoke

All I saw was her blonde hair exiting the door. "Alice huh"...