Dead Smart

A/N: this came to my head whilst watching Good Luck Charlie, (the episode when Gabe had a sleepover and watched a zombie movie). So here I am writing a zombie story.

MCs:

This is Novah

This is Novah

and this is Zane

and this is Zane.

And this is the story:

I stare out of the window, the reports of zombie attacks scare me so much I can't think straight, my fellow students are afraid as well but they also make jokes about them and hurl around insults related to them. They're not funny, in fact, they are offensive to people like me who have lost family to zombie attacks. 

Everywhere I look I feel like a zombie could be hiding wait to jump out and get me. I unconsciously start tapping rhythmically on my desk, it helps me focus. My anxiety isn't that bad, I don't have anxiety attacks or anything but I still tap things like a maniac ninety per cent of the day. 

"Miss Castillo!" I hear my teacher call, I shake my head then turn to her. 

"Yes?" I ask.

"I will not have daydreaming in my classroom," she scolds. "Mr Benson please switch seats with Miss Castillo so she can focus better."

Charlie Benson stands up, picks up his books then walks over to me, "Sorry," I say quietly.

"It's okay," he shrugs as I pick up my books and start to leave. "You're going to be stuck next to Zane."

Zane?  I think as I walk to my new seat. I turn to look at the person next to me. Oh, that Zane!

Zane was not only the most popular boy in our year but the smartest. As popular as he is, he doesn't have very many actual friends, his cold personality tends to put people off.

As I sit down a wispy chill hugs me, it feels awful.

"Ok, now that is sorted out, we have a partner project today," the teacher says. "The person sitting next to you will be your partner."

I let out a small gasp, that means I'm going to be partnered with Zane.

Clarissa Jones hand shoots up, "What is the project?"

"Good question," says the teacher. "It's actually a special assignment, Zombie Awareness."

Zane's ears perk up in surprise, "Zombie awareness?"

"Yes, the media advertise about vicious zombie attacks all the time, so I thought that you all should express your opinions about them, it can be through song, leaflet, presentation even a series of memes if it suits you."

The class laughs. I tilt my head curiously at the thought of writing a song about zombies. I consider myself quite the songwriter, I've even uploaded some of my songs to Youtube.

The bell goes and we all start leaving the room, as Zane stands up, I gently tap him on the arm.

He turns to me and I'm suddenly caught in his stormy grey eyes, I shake my head then say "I guess we're partners..."

"Hmm," he nods. "You're N.C., right? The singer."

I look at him surprised, I nod then say, "You can call me Novah."

"Well, then Miss Novah, could we do our project at the Library?" 

I raise my eyebrow, "Sure?" I say.

"Okay," he says then marches away. 

The chill I felt before disappears. Did it come from Zane? No, don't stupid. I look around my surroundings, I'm close to the air vent, maybe it's windy outside.

I nod to myself, believing my rational explanation, but I still feel unsettled.