The Assignment

When I arrived at school the next day, Zane was waiting for me. "Uh, hi Zane," I say.

"Morning," he mutters. "You uh, we agreed yesterday that we'd meet at the library, but then we said we'll be making a song, which we can't exactly do in a library. I got some of my mates to let us use the radio room, it's connected to the music class because they work together a lot and they have a proper studio and everything."

My eyes light up, "That's amazing, perks of having an assignment with the coolest kid in school."

"Yeah, I guess," he shrugs.

Later that day, I meet up with Zane in the radio room. He leads me to the recording area. 

"So," I begin. "Because zombies are classified as terrorists, should we do a rap?"

"Pardon?" Zane yelps.

"Well zombies are terrorists," I explain. "And you wouldn't sing about terrorism in the tune of a nursery rhyme."

"You'd be surprised what is hidden in those rhymes," Zane shakes his head. "I think you take a similar tone to a song like You Should See Me In a Crown."

"Really?" I say surprised. 

"I don't think rapping would suit you," he shrugs.

I tap my foot on the ground rhythmically, thinking hard,

"Look how they 

come.

starved

Watching us 

run.

charge

They want our

minds.

Don't miss the

 signs.

scream

In the moon 

and the sun,

chase.

It's all a 

race.

We're the

 mice,

to their cats.

They're the 

snakes,

to our rats."

"Did you just come up with that on the spot?" Zane asks shocked.

"Yeah, why?" I ask confused.

"That's was awesome," he says, I don't why but he didn't sound sincere. "You didn't mention, zombies."

"That's because you interrupted me," I say shaking my head then continue.

"They're coming this way,

you don't have a say, 

people will die today, 

at the hands of the

undead.

at the hands of the

cold.

at the  hands of the zombies."

"That was chilling," Zane tells me. "You didn't even need my help."

"Well, you got this space," I say. "Wait! Don't distract me, I need to write this all down before I forget." I rush to my notebook whilst muttering the song I just came up with under my breath and copy down the words. Once I'm done, I let out a breath. "It doesn't sound anything like You Should See Me in a Crown," I point out.

"That's because it's an N.C. original," Zane says, he reads over the lyrics. "I was kind of hoping we could put zombies in a positive light."

"Why would we do that?" I ask surprised. 

"Because everyone else won't be," he shrugs. "It'll be something completely out of nowhere."

"I don't want to risk my grade because you're a zombie lover," I snarl. "Especially because I have nothing good to say about zombies and I never will. The song will be trash and I definitely wouldn't upload it."

He looks at me shocked once again. He sighs then picks up his bag. "See you tomorrow," he mutters then starts leaving the room.

"What do you mean 'See you tomorrow'?" I exclaim. "We need to work on the project."
"You clearly don't need my help," he replies. "So I don't need to be here."

He leaves and the room once again starts warming up a little, I hadn't even noticed it was cold. "What's wrong with him? Stupid zombie lover."

A/N yes I did come up with the song on the spot.