First drops of rain short story

Do you know how the first drops of rain were created? Where does our water come from that we use in our everyday lives? In the centre of the Sahara desert the dehydrated tribe of Nyeziecrit were extremely vexed and agitated with the scorching and sweltering heat. Their agriculture was dying, and the parched sand was crying for drops of water. Dead animals were shrivelled up and scattered everywhere. The leader of the tribe was Osiris and he summoned the whole tribe for a meeting.

"We need rain!" the tribe chanted like a choir frustratedly. Osiris came up with a mischievous plan. His plan was to trick the sun, who was desperate for love, into travelling to the other side of the horizon to find 'true love'. But really it was to disturb the cloud who rules the sky on the other side of the horizon. The cloud has never had to share the sky, so if the sun came near him it would make him so distressed and anxious. This would result in cascading tears of rain and then the Sahara desert would have an abundance of moisture bombarding the dried earth. When Osiris and the tribe of Nyeziecrit told the sun the news that there was a male sun on the other side of the horizon desperate for love too, the sun was so enchanted and overjoyed that she immediately raced across the sky like a speedy cheetah awaiting her true love.

While the sun was on her mission to find her true love, the tribe of Nyeziecrit and their leader Osiris prepared for the colossal amount of rain they were about to receive. They wove baskets out of the decayed papyrus plants and dug wells from the thirsty sand.

The sky waved at the ecstatic sun as it made its way to the other side of the horizon. Days went by and finally the sun reached its destination. She could see a faint, blurry image which she thought was her true love in the distance. But as the sun got closer and closer, she realized that it was just a cloud. The sun was outraged and roared with fury; fire blazed from her ears. Feeling perplexed, the cloud had never heard such a horrific noise and turned around to face the sun in confusion.

The trembling cloud was terribly traumatised that he was not alone and the only ruler of the sky. The cloud was so upset that oceans of water piled up inside his eyes, like books in a library. He couldn't hold back his tears anymore. First his bottom lip dropped. Then a single tear dribbled down the cloud's left cheek. And finally, there was a torrential downpour!

The whole world cheered with delight and the stars danced in the pitch-black, midnight sky. Osiris and the tribe of Nyeziecrit were all grinning from ear to ear as they triumphantly twirled and whirled in glee. Little did they know that it wasn't over just yet...

The cloud pelted massive hail balls onto the people of the Sahara desert in anger. The jubilant cheers from the tribe of Nyeziecrit and Osiris quickly dissolved into a state of panic and fear as their hearts pounded like drums in a marching band. They realized their plan had backfired as the gigantic hail balls wreaked havoc demolishing dwellings that were wimping in pain. From that day forward the tribe and Osiris promised to never lie or take advantage of anyone or anything. If you stare very closely at the largest cloud in the sky you may still spot the face of the disheartened and betrayed cloud, waiting patiently while plotting his revenge...

I hope you enjoyed this short story! Please vote and comment :). Criticism is ok, but please don't be harsh as I was debating with myself if I should even put this up!!!! If you could follow my account then I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for reading my short story, stay safe!

From Soph xx