☽ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝘛𝘸𝘰 𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘴

17 June 1967

  17 June 1967

  Danica woke the next morning with Keith at her side. His arms wrapped her waist loosely. She had to shimmy her way out of his grasp in a way that kept Keith from stirring. A pillow was put in place on her warm body.

  Raleigh and Gil's home was silent. Not even their pet German Shepard seemed to stir that morning. She crept to the kitchen with the intent of making coffee. Danica poured the grounds into the filter and placed it in the coffee machine. The fresh smell of hot coffee engulfed the entire room and floated from room to room.

  When the pot filled with the dark brew, she poured three cups of coffee: one for her, Raleigh and Gil. Keith preferred juice. Since Danni didn't expect Keith to wake till past noon, she decided to visit her brother's bedroom. She knocked to be safe before being invited inside. Gil was already awake, reading a novel. He looked up and removed his reading glasses.

"Good morning," She greeted, offered him coffee.

Gil reaches over Raleigh's body and gingerly took the steaming mug from her, avoiding any possible spills.

"Good morning."

"Have you read this before?" He asked.

"What is it?"

He flashed the cover of East of Eden at her.

"Oh, I've only seen the film adaption."

  "They forgot one of the best characters! It's so annoying ."

Danica couldn't help but laugh at his response. The only one in the room who wasn't laughing was Raleigh. He responded with a groan, attempting to regain the same comfort he felt when he was asleep.

"Can you talk about books later?" He grumbled.

"Danni made us coffee," Gil told, groping his partner's exposed chest.

Raleigh swatted his hand away, finally opening his eyes. He wiped away the sleep and stinging dryness.

"It does smell divine," He admitted. It almost seemed as if his hangover disappeared.

  "Is Keith awake?" Gil asked.

  "No, he's still asleep."

  "He seems like a handful," Raleigh commented.

  "He is that, but I don't mind too much. He keeps things interesting."