Chapter 3 - in which Lita gets more and more grumpy

"You are as healthy as a horse," her doctor told her. "I don't know why we say that, I don't know that horses are particularly more healthy than humans or any other species, but well, you're as good as you could be. Baby is doing fine. You can fly, dance, have crazy sex, whatever you feel like."

"What about all of the above?" Camila said to her cheekily. The doctor laughed, her the beads on cornrows clinking together.

"Sounds good to me, go for it!" The doctor laughed. "Sounds like a fun flight!"

Camila gave her a big hug and practically skipped out the door. As promised, she texted Shawn to let him know she was fine. He was in Monterrey, Mexico, and was heading off to Mexico City in three days. How she loved that place, she thought, then stopped suddenly. She could fly. She could fly to Mexico City and spend a few days with Shawn, and Lita could come too, she could show Lita the city she lived in as a child. Now she had made up her mind, she couldn't get home fast enough. On the way, she rang her travel agent and had her book the flight, and decided she would surprise Shawn. She texted Andrew but told him not to tell Shawn. She told her mother when she picked Lita up from her house. She would tell her daughter when they got home. She ticked off everything in her head as she did it.

Once home, she pulled out her old big red suitcase. She loved it because it stood out on the baggage carousel at the airport. It was the one she packed the day she first went to LA. She quickly and efficiently packed everything she would need, then went into Lita's room and started pulling out things for her as well.

"What are you doing Mama?" Lita asked with interest.

"We are going to see Papa!" Camila said. "But, it's a secret, a big surprise, so don't tell him."

Lita jumped up and down clapping. "I won't! I won't! Oh, I'm so excited!"

She slept in with Camila that night, as she often did when Shawn was away, and it made it easier to get up and get ready to go the next day. Mama would come get the dogs later in the morning, and look after things for the few days they were gone. There was nothing for it but to head to the airport.

Their seats were in First Class and Camila put Frozen 2 on for Lita and let her snuggle down under the blanket provided. She was asleep before they even took off. Camila watched a movie and ate a meal and three and a half hours later they were landing at Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez. Mexico City. It was early afternoon, but it had been a long day for both of them already. Lita was not happy when she woke up, she started whining and complaining, she didn't like the airport, the smell, the crowds. She was tired and scared, Camila knew, but she wasn't feeling great herself. She felt the size of truck, awkward and uncomfortable. The baby's head was heavy and painful against her pelvis, she was bursting to use the bathroom, and her head was throbbing. The immigration official gave her a hard time as if she was human trafficking and Lita whined through the whole process so she almost offered her for sale to him but thought he might not get the joke.

Finally they were through and then she had to get her suitcase. Naturally, it was the last one to come out, and she stared at in dismay. The lock was broken and it had been taped together, roughly, with blue tape. There was nothing expensive in it, only clothes and toiletries, but she hoped nothing was missing. A nice gentleman picked it off the belt for her and placed it in her trolley and he pushed it for her while his wife pushed theirs. They told her their story, they were from Indiana and they were on holiday and very excited. She appreciated their help and kindness so she listened, but meanwhile Lita was getting more and more grumpy. Once through Camila looked for a driver holding a board with her name. Nada. Well, that was no surprise, since nothing else was going right at the moment. She just wanted to get to the hotel, it was just she and Lita tonight, Shawn flew in tomorrow morning and they would be there to surprise him. She looked around for the driver, and tried calling the contact number to no avail.