Chapter 13

This one is long too :c

~*~*~*~*~*~

The only thing that was audible to Leafsong was her own heart beating.

"It can't be!" she wailed. "That's not true!"

Swiftclaw felt like a littermate to Leafsong. She understood her pain, her emotions. Why would she do this?

An owl hooted in the forest and made Leafsong look at the sun. It was slowly sinking behind the hills in WindClan territory.

"We should go back," Jaypaw recommended. "The Gathering is tonight-they'll be getting ready to leave soon." The apprentice turned and headed toward the camp. Leafsong looked out across the lake's still surface before following him.

"-Spiderleg, Cloudtail, and Brightheart."

Leafsong caught Firestar's voice as she entered the camp. He was announcing who was going to attend the Gathering. The flame-colored leader glanced up and the pale ginger she-cat, along with some others. She saw Jaypaw sitting beside Leafpool in front of the warriors' den, acting like nothing had happened.

"Leafsong," Firestar's clear meow echoed around the hollow, "you will be joining us, too." He glanced at her up and down. "If you want to, of course. You could stay and rest."

Leafsong trotted down the slope into the hollow and dipped her head. "I am strong enough to make it there and back," she stated.

Firestar nodded his okay and turned back to the Clan. "We will be leaving for the Gathering now," he declared. Brambleclaw hurried to the side of his leader to help lead. The two turned in unison and led the Clan out of camp.

"Leafsong!"

The renewed ThunderClan warrior recognized the voice of Squirrelflight.

You cannot kill Squirrelflight.

Jaypaw's quote echoed in her head, and she glanced over at him. Just what she didn't want, the gray tabby tom's clear blue eyes were looking right at her. Her pelt burned; even though she knew the young tom could not see, it was still very uncomfortable with his blind gaze staring at her.

A bunch of orange fur rushed into her vision as Squirrelflight charged her and pushed her nose into Leafsong's light fur.

"Where were you?" she asked, her voice muffled by the fur. She backed away. "I've been dying to talk to you all day!"

Leafsong opened her mouth to speak, but found no words. She was grateful when Graystripe called them to hurry up and pelted up the slope without hesitation.

She guiltily avoided Squirrelflight the entire way to the Gathering. She trotted along the shoreline and admired the beautiful reflection of the full moon and the brightly glowing stars. She sensed something beside her and turned her head to see Jaypaw. They trekked in silence the rest of the way.

The green-eyed she-cat waited her turn behind Dustpelt to cross the tree-bridge, with Jaypaw following her. His littermates, Hollypaw and Lionpaw, helped him jump up and get down. Once everyone made it, Firestar flicked his tail as a signal to enter.

The clearing looked so empty-only WindClan were there. Leafsong watched her Clanmates merge with the others as they greeted their usual enemies with happiness.

A small tap on her side caused Leafsong to turn towards the cat. Her heart sunk with horror.

"Hello, Leafsong," Swiftclaw greeted normally. "How have you been this past moon?"

Leafsong was frozen with terror. "G-good," she managed to answer simply.

The WindClan cat motioned her black-tipped tail to signal a 'follow me.' "I need to talk to you."