chapter 35

Mitali Jain 

At times the scenes are so different, mom walked up to me and held me in her arms, and she combed my perfectly set hair once again just to irritate me and gave me one of her best smiles. I hated this the most, she knew I didn’t liked being this dressed yet she would do that again and again. 

“Mom not now…” 

“Daksh, it’s okay beta, you are going to be all right, and even Jai is going to be there, why do you have to worry about anything? And if ever you feel weird, you know where to find me and dad.” 

I knew she was right, but through the night when the parties would go on, I would still be by Dad’s side, Jai would as well be there, but I liked to stay beside dad, I had always felt grown up… my 10 year old self dressed in perfect suits and ties walking amongst these big people and listening to business, I didn’t liked it, But I liked to hear the praises that people sang of my people. 

The scenes though would change eventually, I remember sitting with my mom and dad in the back of the car. The two of them so happy, they were telling me how soon we might go back to the beach house… I loved to be there, I missed it. 

And then all of a sudden there would be a loud squealing of tiers, mom screams echoed the most, the belt that was wrapped around me held me to be safe, mom, and dad wrapped their arms around me as the car toppled around in circles, once twice, thrice… the number of times eventually getting lost as I would sleep back into the slumber, with mom and dad’s voice still lingering around me for the last time. 

…. 

The days have changed, I still get those dreams, at times I am at the beach house in Panjim, I am way younger than the other dreams, and this time I am not alone… there is someone else, I can feel her, her face is quite blurred almost unrecognizable but I would run after her, chasing her, her laughter seemed so soulful that it somehow used to give me a good feeling. 

At times I would hear her talk to mom, she would ask when her mom would come, and when I would look at mom, she had that forlorn look which I didn’t like to see, this would somehow upset me… but then I would see the little one on the verge of tears and hence I would tickle her… her giggles would echo all around us. 

Though she was smart enough, as she would steal my balloons and run off towards the waves, her frill filled frock blowing around the winds, as mom would go behind the canvas once again, smiling at us… while I would call behind her…

Mini!  

……

The nightmares have seemed to deteriorate, Tejal is quite a nice doctor, and she can surely do well ahead. But it scares me now; there are certain things which seem even more amiss to me now days. 

Like there was this one fine day I knew there was someone who was following me. I knew that. And then there was that one time when someone tried to push me from the stairs, but kaka and my secretary has to say that there was none… that I might be deluding such things. But no I was right… there was someone. 

Jai has been calling me again and again, he says that Naveen and he are starting with the work on the textile company and that he needs me there. May be this would help … a change in place might actually help me. 

…. 

Mom, I met someone really amazing today. She had the same spark in her eyes as you had whenever you would talk about art. She was so pretty, her name is Mitali, she is Naveen’s sister. I know that may be she didn’t recognized me.. But I did. She is so pretty; it makes me nervous when I am near her.