Little Rose

There was a small knock on the door. She didn’t want to get up. She knew what would happen. She would have to go to school.

Sure, last year Rose Thatcher wanted to go to school, but since she turned five, she hated every second of it. It was just so boring. She didn’t want to go. She was going to skip. She wanted to roam around the castle grounds. No one would notice her, she wouldn’t run into anyone. Besides, she was too small for anyone to pay attention to her. That’s how she got away so easily. No one would notice if she was gone. So she let the knocking on the door continue.

“Rose, come on. It’s time for school,” Avalon said, poking her spine.

“I don’t feel good,” Rose moaned, hoping Avalon would leave her alone.

Avalon just sighed and left the dorm.

Rose looked around at the messy room, noticing that most of the mess was Benedict’s. That was expected. He was a very unorganized boy.

Rose got out of bed and obediently started cleaning up, just folding Benedict’s clothes and neatly placing them on his bed. She did that with everyone else’s clothes, too. She sat down on her bed and looked at her left forearm. It was red and looked a little charred, like it was burned. She knew it looked burnt, because when she was younger, she tried figuring out what it was and accidently burned herself. The second burn looked a lot like the burn she had on her forearm, which started at her palm and went down the flat of her forearm, ending about 1 ¾  away from the inside of her elbow.

Their teacher, Ms. Damours, walked into Rose’s room and said, “Rose, dear, why aren’t you getting ready for school?”

“Because, I just don’t wanna go,” Rose said, putting her clothes away.

Ms. Damours sat down on Rose’s bed and asked, “Why don’t you want to go?”

“Because it’s boring. I don’t get to pretend to be a Dragon Keeper. I have to sit in one spot and re-write letters on a piece of paper. I hate it,” Rose said, sitting next to Ms. Damours.

“Can you at least try to stick it out, for me?” her teacher asked.

Rose shook her head. School wasn’t fun like she had hoped.

Ms. Damours sighed and got up, leaving the room.

After everyone left, Rose sat on the bed, thinking of what to do. She had some money, and she was craving some candy and sweets from the market place.

She got dressed and instinctively grabbed her black cloak, tying it around her neck and running down the stairs to go outside.

As soon as the door closed behind her, she ran.

Rose was finally free.

She wondered what she could do all day. She decided that after she got her candy, she would hide her cloak and watch the Dragon Keepers train in the arena.

Rose loved watching the Dragon Keepers, but more importantly, she loved watching the dragons, with their long talons and bodies. She loved the different colors of the dragons. There would be two similar colors, but you could tell the difference between the two, because no two were alike. Rose loved watching the dragons, because they were beautiful creatures and she thought they looked like a rainbow. She thought it could use another blue, but she couldn’t figure out what shade, and she didn’t know if such color dragon existed.

As Rose ran, she avoided all main roads from the children’s house down to the market area, just so that she wouldn’t run into people.

In one of the back roads, Rose tripped over a shift in the cobble stones and fell on her hands and knees. She knew she was fine, but as she looked up, she saw big, black boots. She was afraid it was the principle of the school, but she knew he would already be in the castle, where the school was.