Rose's Birthday

“How come she’s smarter than me?” asked Avalon.

“Well, that’s because she’s a- very smart person.” Rose was the only one that seemed to catch that Ms. Damours was about to say something else but covered it up.

For the rest of the night, Rose was trying to think of some sort of thing that Ms. Damours could’ve meant to say instead of what she actually said.

Once supper was over, the dessert came along. As the servants were placing the desserts in front of everyone, the king spoke up.

“So, Ms. Damours. Do you think you’d be able to teach my son a few more things?”

“Well, Your Highness, I was wondering if I could teach my daughter and a few other pupils to teach and take care of small children, as my mentors have. Maybe we could schedule something for Destrian.”

“That’s acceptable, if you’ll just stay a little after the dessert,” the king said.

Ms. Damours nodded in agreement.

“I am going to stay with you,” said Avalon. She wanted to spend as much time with her mother as possible.

“Rose, do you think you’ll be able to find your way back?” Ms. Damours asked.

She nodded, digging into her tarts.

Once everyone was finished, the servants came and took all the plates and silverware. Ms. Damours got up to talk to the king and Avalon followed her, like a lost puppy.

Rose got up a little later, and immediately after her, Destrian got up.

“Do you want me to help you find your room?” he asked, following close behind her.

“Oh, yes, please,” said Rose, feeling relieved. She was afraid she was going to get lost.

They walked most of the way in silence, until Destrian finally asked, “How’s your cheek?”

“It’s…uh…it’s actually gotten worse,” she said, gently touching her cheek.

“May I see?” he asked softly.

Rose stopped and moved her hair, turning to let him see.

“Awww, you poor thing,” he whispered, gently touching her bruise.

Instead of backing away, she stayed put until he was done. Since he was about 6’ tall and around ten months older than Rose, he towered over her, staring at her cheek.

“We…we should probably get going,” Rose said, starting to walk.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Destrian said quietly, walking in front of Rose to lead her through the castle.

The rest of the walk was filled with awkward boot clopping on the ground as they walked, not speaking to each other.

“Well, this is you,” Destrian said, stopping in front of a door.

“Are you sure?” she asked, not wanting to leave him.

“I’m positive. This is my room,” said Destrian, pointing at a door a few feet from the one they were standing in front of.

“Ok, if you insist,” Rose said, walking towards the door.

Destrian stepped in front of her, between the door and her.

“Hey, what-” she said, surprised.

“You can’t leave without a good night hug,” he said with a smile. “It’s a tradition in my family that we hug each other good night.”