Chapter Thirty-Six

Sixty-Seven Years Ago

Ramius Faces Eternity

Eden was now quite a developed and growing settlement. The Big House had long been completed and was very elaborate. There were many other impressive structures as well, and many family homes dotted the landscape. The latest big development that Ramius poured himself into was the market square—a large, two-story structure surrounding an expansive open courtyard. It was to be designated for markets and restaurants on the ground floor and would have offices and workshops on the upper level.

Eden was now over thirty years in the making, and it was delivering on every promise of a better life to which Ramius and his original followers had committed. Ramius now spent a lot of his time on future urban planning and advising others on new designs and construction. He was older now but was still in good shape and nimble enough to supervise when it came to many of the details. Johnny had developed a real knack for construction using the new techniques and materials that Ramius had developed. Johnny was, thus, generally in charge of the major city-funded infrastructure projects, such as this one.

"I think you should consider adding the third level over the main entrance. It will have a grand appearance, and I'm sure it can handle the weight," advised Ramius, pointing for effect as the two men stood on the roof of the newly constructed second floor.

"Yes. I know, Ramius. But we need a lot more materials. As it is, I'm having trouble just getting this second level poured. We need more timber for the forms and scaffolds. It's really slowing us down," Johnny complained.

"Well, I will work on that. Mr. Li is supposed to organize that timber, and I need to understand what the problem is. But do you see what I mean? Do you have the original drawings?"

"Yes. Yes, I have them. We are still using the same drawings. No change. It's just been slower than we planned."

"Okay. Very good. I will look into it." Johnny walked back to the open roof, where they had climbed the ladder to ascend to the rooftop. He was about halfway down the ladder when Ramius swung his leg over and put his weight on the top rung.

"Ramius, wait! Only one at a time! Safety first, old man!" But Ramius was impatient and continued heading down. Suddenly, the ladder buckled, and Johnny jumped off, still three yards from the bottom. "Ramius!" Johnny cried out. But it was too late. The ladder sprung back and flipped over, dropping Ramius like a sack of potatoes straight down from a height of six yards. He landed with a crunch and cried out in pain.

"Oh no! Oh shit! Help! Help!" cried Johnny.

Ana was in the bedroom of the Big House, standing over Ramius with a cool, wet cloth; wiping his face and forehead; and trying to make him comfortable. Johnny, Mr. Li, and Hook walked in. Picket was already sitting in a chair near the bed. He had been there for hours as Ramius slept.

"How is he?" Hook asked.

Ana shook her head.

"He wakes up sometimes. But he moans and then drifts off again. I think he's in a lot of pain," said Picket.

"What did the doctor say?" asked Johnny.

"Both legs broken. Right hip and right arm also broken. He is really busted up," said Picket.

Ana wept quietly as she tried to comfort him, but to no avail. "The doctor says he should be able to recover. But it will take a long time," concluded picket.

"What about walking?" asked Hook.

"That part is not looking good," answered Picket, looking grave. The men all looked at each other, knowing what this would mean.