yamatsuki | behind your back (2)

Yamaguchi chucked at the bickering freak duo, Hinata and Kageyama.

"Aces are the best!" Hinata argued while he swung his hands.

"No," Kageyama replied with a usual stoic expression. "Setters are the rulers of the court."

"You're just saying that because you're a setter!" Hinata pouted at Kageyama's response. "You're being biased!"

"It's the truth," Kageyama deadpanned with a shrug.

Hinata furrowed his eyebrows, obviously against Kageyama's opinion. But he knew he wouldn't change his teammate's judgment anyway, so he turned to Yamaguchi, whom they seem to have forgotten about due to their petty arguing.

"Hey, Yamaguchi..." Hinata asked and dropped his pout. "Is Tsukishima going to attend practice today?"

Tsukishima has not attended a single practice since Yamaguchi returned. This particular issue had given Daich headaches. They couldn't waste any time in practice now, especially not when they were getting more and more recognition among the Miyagi region.

The crows had recovered from their broken wings and soaring high in the heavens.

Kageyama glanced at Yamaguchi. He simply tilted his head, reflecting the curiosity in Hinata's eyes.

Yamaguchi's grin was replaced by a bitter smile, he scratched the back of his head and stuttered with his reply, "I'm not sure..."

Though the team knew about the argument Yamaguchi and Tsukishima had, they concluded it was only a mere misunderstanding between the two and didn't put too much meaning in it.

Whatever it was, they knew the pair could work it out. They were best friends, after all.

In truth, Yamaguchi hasn't talked to Tsukishima in two weeks. Two weeks since they argued. To Yamaguchi, it seemed like Tsukishima did his best to avoid him. They were in the same class, but Tsukishima would always have an alibi or something else to cover for why he won't even glance at his direction.

It all started because of the argument they had.

"Lame," Tsukishima's voice rang in Yamaguchi's head, reminiscing the scene. Yamaguchi found it painfully funny that the same word that saved him from bullies could also send daggers to his heart.

Perplexity and curiosity were etched in Hinata's face while Kageyama's flat expression remained. Yamaguchi's response wasn't enough to satisfy Hinata's curiosity, so he asked him another question, "Why did you fight anyway? Oh-!"

A figure of a tall blonde boy with glasses entered the trio's vision as he passed by, earning Hinata's attention. He was hand in hand and laughing with a certain (H/L)(H/C) girl. The three watched as the figures became smaller, slowly, and then it was gone.

It was a boy Kageyama, Hinata, and especially Yamaguchi knew all too well.

"Tsukishima's girlfriend is so cute!" Hinata gushed, a blissful smile across his lips.

"Hinata..." Kageyama whispered, so quietly Hinata almost missed it.

The orange haired boy carefully turned his head to Kageyama, who had a doleful expression written on his face as he looked at Yamaguchi. Confused, he slowly glanced at Yamaguchi. Hinata's grin dropped at the sight and his heart sank.

"Yamaguchi..." Hinata's lips quivered as he watched his friend wipe his unending tears with his arms, looking so helpless and sorrowful.

Yamaguchi forced himself to break into laughter but his eyes said otherwise, "Yeah, she's cute."

It was enough reason to figure out why Tsukishima and Yamaguchi fought.

***

Inspired by the tiktok I watched a while back (link in external or comments). I had to 💔