Chapter 6: Shattered bones

*Zoé POV*

Cody, Mei, Pandora, Matthias, and I were all going after the Marad to try and get some answers about Ophiuchus and Aquarius, we were going in Hysan's ship, Equinox. The ship took off into space Mei and I were standing next to a window on the ship, "Never thought we would see this did ya?" I asked my friend poking her with my elbow. Mei just looked out the window stunned, she has always had an interest in astronomy so this was a true dream for her.

"Why do you think we were chosen for this... this higher purpose?" She asked me. I just turned to look at her. I knew why I was here and she didn't... what if I just dragged her along and this is all my fault.

"I could probably stand here and talk about something stupid like destiny or fate, but, I'm not going to because honestly I have no idea," I tell, plastering on a small smile. My statement made her laugh a little so I know my lie worked.

"Hey! We're here!" Cody yelled to us. I just grabbed my friends hand and smiled. "Let's do this."

We reached the cockpit though we didn't see the ship in our view. "Um, where are they?" Mei asked. Matthias turned to her and shook his head.

"We don't know. These are the correct coordinates but the ship isn't here maybe-" Pandora siad, summing it up for us. Though an alarm went off before she could finish. "Another ship is docking!"

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"It means another ship is connecting to the Equinox. It's most likely the Marad. They're going to board." Pandora said getting her Barer ready for a fight, Matthias grabbed his Ripple crossbow and aimed it at the back of the cockpit. Cody had his staff and wand at the ready, Mei went into the Duat and grabbed our weapons, I sheathed my sword at my hip and loaded my pistols, while Mei had her pistols in their holsters, katana on her back, and rifle in hand aimed at the door.

We stood like that for what felt like hours. Until the door was blasted off of its hinges to reveal five risers wearing the classic Marad mask. Mei and I started to shoot at the Marad soldiers while Cody was trying to put up a shield for us, Pandora and Matthais were fighting in the heat of the battle. My magazines ran out so I threw my pistols to the side and unsheathed my sword running at one of the soldiers.

We continued to fight for a long time, in which Mei switched from her rifle to her katana and was now up against me back. I stabbed one of the soldiers and threw their body away from me, though when I got back up from throwing the body I was kicked back down by another Marad soldier I tried to get up and grab my sword though I felt like my lower body was burning. I finally got through the pain and realized that my left leg had been shattered.

Mei pushed me to the side of the room and asked if I was okay. I just grabbed my leg and said, "It's shattered." She then handed me one of her hand guns and started to stand up and face the three remaining soldiers.

"I don't care if your leg is shattered. Get up and fight." Mei told me and started to slash at one of the remaining soldiers. I was still in immense pain so I just sat there, most likely with a high fever, trying to get through the pain.

When only one soldier remained I lifted my gun and shakily aimed for its leg. I pulled the trigger and heard the distinct sound of metal hitting flesh. "That's for my shattered bones."

649 words