Part 6: Now What

I blankly stared at a wall, waiting for an idea to strike me. It was midday and I sat on the couch, the sun warming my body. Now that Sean was back, I didn't know what I was supposed to do about him. How was I supposed to act around him? I thought the army would change him. Make him colder or more separate from me.
He was still my Sean.
My door was thrown open, the familiar figure filling the door way.
"Good morning beautiful!" Sean beamed happily at me. I rolled my eyes and a smile slipped out. He tossed a bag and a box at me. "Put this on, get ready and I'll be back in one hour exactly." He flicked my forehead and disappeared. Well that was fast. I lifted myself from the couch. I wonder what he had planned.
The outfit was beautiful. A pair of dark wash shorts with the American flag painted on the front was the first item. Rolling my eyes I dug deeper in the bag. There was a simple white tank top, with lace around the edges. Inside the box were a pair of brown cowgirl boots. Perfect.
"Sean..." I smiled and my heart filled, he was such a sweat heart. I hurried to get ready, leaving my hair in a curly mess.
"Ah right on time." I murmured as I went down the stairs and heard his motorcycle pulled up. Before he could climb out, I rushed outside and jumped onto the back. It was such a calming familiar feeling.
"So, what's the plan tonight? You got me all dressed up, so what now?" He had black shades on with mirrors as lens. He looked older.
"It's a surprise." His hand flopped out holding another pair of sunglasses that match his. On closer inspection they were Ray Bans and had an A on the side. His had a S on the side. We drove for what seemed like forever.
But I loved it.
It felt amazing having the wind kissing my skin and caressing my body. It was peaceful knowing Sean was safe in front of me. He wore a button up white t-shirt and dark jeans with his working boots on.
The sun was setting as we drove, and soon we were driving along a gravel road that was parallel with a river. The water glistened and all I could hear was the deep rumble of his bike. He pulled over by the river at a soft green meadow that faded into a small river beach. We climbed off and he led me down to the grass.
Looking at him, I saw that mischievous excited smile of his.
"Alice," he straightened his face. "I know I've just came back, but before I left I made you a promise." He whipped out a folded piece of paper. Curious, I stayed quiet. "Alice Jane, will you go on a road trip with me?" He unfolded the paper into a road map with red lines and big red dots all over it. "We have all summer, and if you'll come with me, were leaving in two days."
I stood in silence, his smile wavered.
"Eh, what the hell. Of course I'm coming you dork!" I tackled him to the ground and he hugged me.
"Great! So now what?" He asked just as the sun falls beneath the horizon. We lay in the soft grass, listening to the river run gracefully. We stayed until stars popped up in the big country sky.
"Sean..." I murmured. "I really missed you. I was homesick for you. " I felt the tears rise up. Suddenly he was laying on top of me. My body tensed and a spark raced through my veins.
"I'm home now." He whispered, his breath fanning over my face. He bent down to kiss me, but it felt different.
This was the kind of kiss that made people fall in love. My lips froze and my eyes stayed glued open.
He just looked at me in wonder, seeing my face flushed. I thought were just best friends!
I rolled out from under him and stood up uncomfortably rubbing my arms. "Em so do you want to take me home now? I'm kind of getting tired." I mumbled and he stood up slowly, a curious spark still in his eyes.
"Sure..." it was the most awkward ride in my life.