Chapter 2 Inviable People

When we got to my house, I saw Luke's truck. Luke is practically my dad. He was the one who helped me build a sand castle when we went to the beach, the one who taught me how to throw a punch, the one who has been with us through everything. He stayed with my mother I and helped her raise me.

If your wondering where my dad is, he joined the military and he died before I was born. That's all I really know. My mom won't talk about him with me. She has a picture of him and all his metals and other stuff in a box under the floorboard in her room.

"Hello Ms. Fray", Simon greeted mom.

"Hello Simon, how was school?"

"It was good." He was always so polite when it comes to adults.

"Was school okay for you too sweetheart?" Mom looked at me and I noticed the amount of worry in her eyes. I can tell something was wrong.

"It was good mom", I assured her. I didn't want to tell her about what happened with the mysterious guy with the cat eyes. She wouldn't never let me out of the house.

I ran upstairs and changed into my out fit. When I came back I saw my mom and Luke arguing.

"Is something wrong?", I asked her curiously.

"Sweetie can I talk to you in the kitchen?", Mom asked. Something was defiantly wrong. Mom looked more concerned than usual.

"Okay" I walked in the kitchen and found Luke pacing around. "Luke whats wrong?"

"Clary we ha-" Luke gets cut off by my mom.

"We are going on a vacation for a while." He gives my mom a discouraging look and shakes his head.

I turn to my mom confused for a moment before I remembered that my mom did this sometimes. Once or twice a year . We would go to Luke's cabin in Vermont.

"Okay to Luke's Cabin, the one we always go too. Whatever, but we have to get back before-"

"Sweetie we are going to stay their for a little while." Mom said, cutting me off.

"What?!? How long?", I shouted.

"Till the end of summer", she said and gave me hug. I flinched under her touch. "I'm sorry about the art camp you were going to go to but..."

No she couldn't be doing this to me I worked hard and saved up to go to that camp. She always did this . It wasn't fair. I was beyond angry.

"Mom you can't be serious. You know how hard I worked for this?" My voice rose but I didn't care.

"I know bu-",she started.

"No, you don't. This happens every time but you never tell me why we always have vacations to the same place, why you never let me do anything or go anywhere. What are you so afraid of." I practically yelled at her. I was flush with anger and waiting for what she would say.

I knew it was harsh but I wasn't thinking about that.

"Clary I know and I'm sorry it's just complicated. I will tell you when your ready but right now you need to go upstairs and pack."

I couldn't believe this. When I was ready. When would that be.

"No mom since this is my last night before I go. I plan to enjoy it and that means going out with Simon."

"It's not safe Clary." My mother said, her voice firm like she dared me to disobey.

I stared at her right in the eyes grabbed Simon's arm and dragged him out the door and jumped in the car. I knew I was in hell of trouble when I came back home but I didn't care.