1

The last day of summer. The last day of freedom before I have to go back to the harsh hellish world called school. It was going to be my senior year. I was finally at the top of the food chain. Of course, that doesn't really mean much in my high school. It didn't really matter what grade you were in, you could still be treated like shit. But being a senior meant I was a year closer to getting to move out of this hole in the wall town and moving in with my sister in Pennsylvania. That was all I was really looking forward too after graduating.

My phone chirps with excitement as it vibrated on the nightstand next to my bed.

F: You guys ready for the bonfire tonight

M: You bet I am. Do you know who's hosting it this year

K: I believe it's that Josh guy

M: You mean the one who's parents own some big company.

K: Yeah, that one

F: Wasn't he homeschooled for most of his life then started school mid-last year

M: That's what they say

F: Now I'm really excited. I heard he has a really big house and I really want to see it

K: Same

M: Anyway, who's driving us there this time

K: Isn't it Cory's turn this year?

M: Oh yeah, and speaking of Cory where is he?

C: I'm here

F: Good, thought you were dead for a second then we wouldn't have a ride

C: Good to see how much you care about me

F: Of course babe ;)

K: We're still meeting up at your place in 10 right

C: Yeah, and this time at least ring the doorbell before rushing in

M: No promises

C: -_-

C: Whatever, see you guys soon

F: Alright

M: See ya

K: Peace

I put my phone down dreading the arrival of my so-called 'friends'. Putting my phone down, I headed out of my room and down the hall to the kitchen. I see my dad sitting on a stool with an opened beer can in his hand. Walking past his, I open the fridge and grab some water.

"The gang is coming over in a few, just to let you know," I said with my back facing him. He doesn't say a word but I heard him take a sip of his beer.

I walk out of the kitchen and headed back to my room. I close the door and drop to my bed. I grab the remote that laid by my feet and press play, continuing to watch some reddit videos on youtube. I watch a video and a half before hearing my doorbell ring.

I pause the tv and head to the front door. My dad has now relocated himself from the kitchen to the living room with what seemed to be a new can of beer in his hand since the old one was still on the kitchen counter.

I open the door to three loud 'heys' from my friends. They each walk-in without me even saying a word. They turn to see my dad sitting on the couch and greet him. He brings his beer-filled hand up then shortly puts it back down. Without another word, we all walk back to my room.