4

This couldn't be right. I must be dreaming because there is no way this is my life right now. She can't be my teacher. I rubbed my eyes hard hoping that this was a mistake but when I opened my eyes there she was. The woman who single-handedly ruined my family. The one person I hate more than anything was going to be my teacher. I have to see her face every time I come to school. Why did this have to happen to me?

"Since it is the first day back to school, I wouldn't want to pile on work on you guys." She says walking up in her black pumps, grey plaid pants, and white button-up shirt. "Today is going to be an introduction day." Her dark brown hair lightly pulled into a not so tight, kinda messy bun with a few strands falling down on the sides. "And since I'm sure most of you don't know each other that well, why don't we take turns standing up and introducing yourself." She looks around the class. "Any volunteers?"

My classmates just look around to see who the brave soul is who will choose to speak. And as I thought no one stands.

"Already. Looks like you all are too scared. Then I'll start and then pick someone to go after me." You could feel how nervous everyone was, not wanting to get picked to go first. "I'm Mrs. Summers as you know. I'm a Chemistry teacher and I'm indeed married." She says holding up her hand to display a beautiful ring. "Now I want.." She scans the room. "You. You should go next." Her hand points directly at me. As if on signal the whole class left out a unison sigh of relief and I guess Mrs. Summers could see it too. "Don't worry the rest of you will be going soon. Now sir could you please stand and introduce yourself. Name, grade, and an interesting fact about yourself."

The entire class turned in their seats to look at me. The silence was frightening but I just had to get it over with. I pushed my chair back and stood up.

"My name is Cory Cotton. I'm a senior and.." I thought for a second about a fact about me. "I like to make art." 

I look to see her face and there is a moment of shock. It takes her a second before she regained her composer. "Thank you so much, Cory. Who's next?"

I sat back down. The rest of the class seem to go by like a blur. My mind was all over the place. I guess this caused me to not notice when the bell rang. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt someone tap my shoulder. I shake my head and look up to see that it was Mrs. Summer. I look around to see that everyone was leaving. I realize that class is over and start to pack my stuff but was stopped. 

"I was hoping we could talk for a bit before you went to your next class." Mrs. Summers plead, her hand resting on my shoulder. I could feel the stares of the students who didn't instantly rush out of class. I just nodded my head and gave her a small smirk in response. 

Mrs. Summers smiled and went to her desk. I still packed my stuff so I wouldn't have to later and waited for the class to empty out. Once it was I walked up to her desk bag in hand.

"So you wanted to talk to me, Mrs. Summers?" I plainly said.

"Yes, Cory." She pauses I believe to collect what she was going to say. "You've grown so much since I last saw you."

"Excuse me," I say pretending not to know what she was talking about.

"Stop pretending Cory. I know you know who I am. I could tell by the look you gave me when I came into the class." I didn't say anything and just looked at the floor. "I know that this must be a bit um... strange for you. I just hope that we can start over. Put the past behind us and get through the year on good terms. Do you think we could do that?" She looked desperate.

I wanted so bad to yell at her. To tell her how she messed up my life. To tell her how much I truly hate her but the only thing that came out of my mouth was, "Sure." I hate myself sometimes.