Chapter two

Eagerly, I sat in the back of an uber watching as the palm trees went whizzing by. I couldn't wait to finally see my new apartment in person, I had spent many weeks choosing the best one I could within my budget and I hate to brag but I'm pretty sure I picked the perfect one.

I was very lucky to be able to afford such a nice apartment in LA but it wasn't as easy as I originally thought it would be. I had spent almost an entire year saving up money to be able to move here and just before I left both my parents and grandparents made sure to give me some extra money too, as a goodbye present which was incredibly sweet of them.

Finally, after an hour-long uber ride from the airport, I was standing outside my apartment building. Without even hesitating, I walked through the doors and right up to the front desk to get my key. The kind lady at the counter gave me my key, a spare one and let me know what apartment number was mine. It was on the 4th floor so I took the elevator up with my suitcase next to me.

When I eventually got to my floor I carefully walked over to my door, looking around as I went, trying to familiarise myself with these new surroundings.

There were around 10 identical doors, all with small metal plates next to them with a number on them (presumably the apartment number) and a small black mailbox. I walked down the corridor, peering at each metal plate looking for my own apartment number. A few minutes of reading numbers later, I found it. Apartment number 48. Also known as my new home.

Carefully, I put the key into the lock, turned it and slowly opened the door. I walked inside whilst dragging my suitcase and as was pleasantly surprised to see my new apartment look just as I hoped it would. It was quite spacious and very open planned, the main colour theme mainly consisted of a bright white but some walls were a light grey. Lots of bigger furniture pieces were already there, including a dining table, a bed and a few storage items, but it certainly still felt pretty empty overall.

After looking around for a few more minutes, I dragged my suitcase into my new bedroom and began to unpack some of my clothes, makeup and some small keepsakes that I brought from my old home. After unpacking, I opened up my phone to phone my new boss.

I had gotten a job a few weeks before moving out and I was supposed to let my new boss, jerry, know when I had finally moved in and was ready to start working. Jerry was a very kind and patient boss and he was friends with my old boss who helped me get my new job, at the local bowling alley that was only a few streets away.

"Hello, Ellie!" Answered Jerry with his usual jolly voice, "How's the move coming along?"
"Hi, Jerry! It's going great, I actually moved in today so I can start working now whenever!"
"That's great to hear! Frank actually just cancelled his shift for tomorrow because his wife has just had a baby, would you be willing to fill-in? It's from 11 am to 7 pm."
"Sure! I'll be there tomorrow at 11 then!"
"Sounds good, Bye for now Ellie!"
"Bye-Bye Jerry,"
And with that, I hung up and took a quick shower.

Even after the light unpacking I had done that day it was only 3:30 pm so I decided to go look around outdoors and go familiarise myself with the new street I lived on. It was a warm, sunny day so I just threw on a pair of shorts and a shirt, before grabbing my bag and leaving my apartment.

Sun shone onto my face as I walked back out of my apartment complex and onto the street. It was moderately busy, with lots of people walking past. A few blocks down from where I was standing, I could see a simple coffee shop. With the sudden urge for a cup of coffee, I chose to go that way.

I walked into the coffee shop and looked around, it seemed like a very cosy and humble kind of place. As I went up to go order my drink, a small terrier walked over to me. Without even a thought, I reached down to give it a small little pat before it decided to walk off again back over to a woman who I assumed was its owner. 'It is dog-friendly too? This place is perfect!' I thought to myself as I stood in the queue waiting to order.

A little while later after I had finished my coffee, I ventured back outside to continue to look around. I did this for a good few hours and discovered a park close-by but the sun had begun to set so I headed back home.

After I got home I sat down and began to message and phone a few of my family members to let them know about how my move-in went and how much I already missed them, then I put my phone down and got ready for bed. A few minutes later, once I had gotten into my pyjamas I laid down.

As I laid there with my eyes shut, I began to think. I really did miss my family but I mainly missed my old family dog, Rufus. He was a super sweet pup and seeing all the dogs in the coffee shop made me wish I had my little canine of my own. 'Perhaps a bit later after I have settled in more' I thought to myself as I began to slowly drift off to sleep.

The next morning I immediately woke up, took a shower got changed and headed straight to my nearby coffee shop for a drink and a bit of breakfast seeing as I hadn't had time to get any groceries yet.

After I had gotten my drink and sat down I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I grabbed it and switched it on to see a message from Amy.

Vodafone US 📶 7:30 am 87%
Amy ✈️👽

Hey Ellie! How was your
first day in LA?

Hi Amy! It was really nice!

That's great! Are you
Free later? A couple of friends are all gonna hang out at mine. Wanna join?

Sure! I have work from 11-7 but I could come over then?

Perfect! See you there then! I will send you the address,

Ok! Thanks so much for inviting me!

I smiled to myself, that was very sweet of Amy! Suddenly, I remembered that I had work soon seeing as it was 10:30 am. Quickly, I got myself an Uber and went to work, whilst counting down the seconds to the time when my shift finally would end.

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I am having lots of fun writing this so far and I am very surprised to say that I already have 1 read! Anyway er bye for now :)