Stepping Stone (S1 ep1 pt2)

We were all sitting at our desks when Alvin came upstairs with a new recruit in tow.

"Adam Ruzek, this is Sergeant Voight," Al introduces.

"Ruzek, I know that name," Voight looks at Al.

"Yeah, my dad was a patrolman his whole career at the 26th."

"You don't say."

"I pulled him out of the academy not his old man," Alvin says.

"What? Did you work with my dad?" he asks.

"Yeah, um we were in the same softball league." Both Al and Hank stumble over the words.

I notice the obvious lie and make a mental note to ask about it later. Everyone introduces themselves to the new guy, Adam.

"If D'Antony was right and he heard three voices in the apartment then Pulpo must have hired two hitmen," Antonio explains.

"Okay, just get all this information to Lieutenant Belden. Have we heard anything from his end?" Voight orders.

Everyone shakes their heads.

"Calls between Rev and Coop yesterday, only one other number called them both. It's a pay as you go drop phone signal's off, but it was purchased at cell store," Erin says.

"Okay, go check it out," Voight goes off to his office.

Even though I had a feeling only Erin and Jay were supposed to go to the store I decided to tag along since I didn't have anything better to do.

"Uh, why are you coming?" Erin asks as she hopped in the driver's seat.

"Got nothing else to do, is that a problem?" I question.

She just shrugs before starting the ignition. Halstead tries to get into the passenger's seat but I was not going to be left sitting in the back for the second time that day.

"Whoa Halstead, you get the back," I push him away from the door.

He sulks a little bit as he clamors into the backseat.

"How long have we worked together? A month?" Jay asks from the backseat.

I turn back to look at him and nod.

"I think it's time we can start being honest with each other, wouldn't you agree?"

"Um, sure," I reply at the same exact time Erin says"No."

He ignores Erin's protests and continues anyway "Okay, one Erin, you driving all the time, and then Grace, you tagging along all the time and making me sit in the back. I'm not down with that, especially not how even when it's just the two of us, you never let me drive."

"Seniority rules," Erin responds blatantly.

I make a note to use that excuse next time she wanted to drive.

"I've been on the job longer," he argues.

I lean back in my chair and let them squabble.

"Well I've been in this unit longer," Erin finishes the conversation.

"I feel like a house husband," Jay admits.

I bust out laughing while Erin gives him a glance full of fabricated pity and says "Aww," with fake empathy.

"And the second thing?" I wonder after I regain my composure.

"What's the deal with you two and Voight?" he inquires.

I look at my sister and she looks back at me. I didn't really know what to say and it became apparent that neither did Erin. We sit in silence for a moment until Erin pulls over the car and looks at Jay.