nineteen

ALLURA WAS QUIET AFTER THE reveal, waiting for Pearl to say something. But the woman was just staring at the younger girl, not really knowing what to say.

         There was absolutely no way to make her feel better. It would be ridiculous to tell her "I understand what you've been through", because she had no clue. She couldn't tell her that "it was all gonna be alright", because there was a high chance that when things began to go well, they would fall apart.

         "I don't know what to say, kid." Pearl chuckled nervously, Allura looking at her and amusement pooling in her eyes. She was about to laugh of the look in her eyes, feeling a weight off her shoulders as she reacted smoothly.

        "That's a step up from everything I thought you would." She chuckled as well, Pearl shook her head, bringing the girl into another hug. "Well, you've given me more hugs than the ones I've received in seventy years." Pearl rolled her eyes at her words, hitting her shoulder mockingly and shaking her head.

        "Do you think you and James could come tomorrow to the house?" Allura's eyes widened.

        "What about the people hunting you? Don't you want us to help you take care of that?"

        "Allura, we already took care of them. Before everything happened in Sokovia. I assume you've heard of that. We got to their boss and well, killed him." Pearl said, her tone monotone as she spoke. They had gotten used to killing enemies, so it wasn't any different for them to do it on Earth.

         "Oh." She said simply. "Don't you think they will attack you for that?"

        "Their groups are scattered. They have pretty much quit their mission. Though we'll be prepared if they do. I know we have your support that's a fact." Allura chuckled. "You've been helping us. We ought to thank you for that. Two skilled fighters on our side, I hope you didn't think I wouldn't have noticed."

        "You didn't know who we were, and that was what we wanted."

        "For your help, we want to thank you. I repeat the invitation: would you like to come tomorrow, to our house?" Allura's green eyes stayed focused for a second, shaking her head slightly.

        "I would. Maybe." She said. "But I'd have to ask James. I can't just tell him to come."

        "Sure you can."

        "No." Allura said simply. "I'm not his boss. He's my partner." Pearl smiled slightly at this, perceiving the care and adoration she held for the human man.

        "Don't forget he is human, Allura." Pearl told her simply, not wanting to rain on her parade, but... raining on her parade.

        "I know." She said simply, nodding at the woman. "I'll see you. Maybe."

         "If not, you know where to find me." Pearl said, placing her palm on Allura's cheek. "It really is good to see you." She said, Allura smiling back and leaning slightly on her hand.

        "It is good to see you too. I'll tell you all about Ezekyel when we meet, I know you must be worried about him too." Pearl nodded at this, her second favorite boy coming to mind.

        "That troublemaker. I'm just glad that, judging by your tone, he is alright."

        "He is. He really is. He's saving this world and fighting for his own like he always is." She spoke, no hesitation in her words as she recalled their moment in the fallen Sokovia.