Chapter 3- As a Story

"Hallway Boy?" Ian laughed. "That's the best you got?"

"Would you rather I call you Gramps?" I replied gesturing to his almost platinum blond hair and glasses.

"Nope," He stood up straight, wrinkling his nose. "That's probably worse."

"Alright, well, Hallway Boy it is." I said, sliding down to the window seat.

He did the same in the chair next  and the flight attendant went around checking seatbelts. Pulling on each strap in turn. When she left, Ian looked at me.

"You know, Pickpocket, I don't think you've told me your real name."

"You're right, I didn't." I turned away to stare out the window at the airport trams rushing back and forth.

"Ok Pickpocket, whatever you say." He reached down and pulled out a drawing pad and started sketching. Just then, the safety announcements came on and I sat quietly and listened while the flight attendant in the aisle gave instructions and the plane started to move.

Ian looked up from his drawing. "Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask, I probably won't answer though," I deadpanned, putting on headphones so my ears didn't pop.

"Who's the lucky guy?" He asked, grabbing an eraser from his bag.

"What are you talking about?" I huffed, pulling out an airplane romance novel.

"You're fidgeting. So obviously you're nervous about something, and I'm willing to guess that something is a someone. So, I repeat, who's the lucky guy? Or girl. I don't judge." He teased, gently taking the book from my hand and smirked, "Very Fitting."

"My sister recommended it." I grumbled, snatching back the book. "And how do you know I'm not fidgeting because I'm sitting next to a total stranger who's totally into me? Plus there is no 'Lucky' anyone. The only people I care about where I'm going are my grandparents, my dad, and my best friend I grew up with."

"Ah. There it is." He said. "By the way, I know you're interested too. But back to the topic at hand. Your former bff- I'm assuming former. What's their name?"

"Adam, and I haven't even talked to him in forever." I responded.

"Let me guess." He looked at me. "You were childhood best friends and you fell for them but didn't make a move until you were about to leave, and then when you did, they turned you down and it felt awkward to keep up communications. So you ghosted them, and now you wanna see how they turned out since they rejected you."

"Um, no. that's not what happened at all."

He sighed. "But still, there's definitely a story behind this. So what is it?"

"Oh come on. I barely know you at all," I closed my eyes and leaned back. "Why should I tell you my life story."

"Oh come on, after this flight, you'll probably never see me again, and what better way to let go of your feelings than to a random stranger. PLUS you can ask me any 3 questions you want that I have to answer. Rando Stranger Honor."

"That's not really reassuring at all, but I mean, I definitely want to know your life story too, so we got ourselves a deal." I said, sticking out my pinky. He raised an eyebrow at me and I gave him a look of disgust. "What? Too old for a good old pinky promise? Nevermind then, you suck. No deal."

"What! Fine." He rolled his eyes in mock annoyance and locked pinkies with me. 

"Alright, so what's your story?" He asked, turning back to his drawing.

"Well, we were neighbors and childhood best friends. Since my parents didn't want me by myself while they both worked, I would stay at his house for a few hours until they got home."