That Was Then, This Is Now (1971)

These facts come from an interview between Teresa Miller and S.E. Hinton on July 18th 2006.

The Facts:
- Whilst writing 'That Was Then, This Is Now', Susan developed writers block.
- At the end of the book, Bryon being emotionally drained and no longer caring for people is a reflection on Susan being emotionally drained after writing 'The Outsiders.'
- The contract for 'That Was This, This Is Now' came on Susan and David's wedding day whereas the contract for 'The Outsiders' came on Susan's graduation day.
- The title, 'That Was Then, This Is Now', comes from the metaphor for growing up and that you cannot always be a little kid and will have to make tough decisions during the process.
- Whilst writing 'That Was Then, This Is Now', Susan was enrolled in Tulsa University.
- The character, Mark Jennings, was imagined as a lion kept on a chain by Bryon.
- Bryon IS different to Ponyboy in the sense that Bryon cannot sit and observe nor is he socially aware at all.
- The reason Ponyboy appears in the book is to show that it happens a few years after 'The Outsiders.'
- Susan made Bryon view Ponyboy as a stuck up purely because he is good looking as she wanted to teach her readers how easy it is to make the wrong assumptions.
- The ending was chosen to show that not every story has a happy ending and that growth is betrayal.