Chapter 5: Secret

"What are you doing here?"

Tanong niya sa akin. Mula sa pagkabigla ni Adrius ay napalitan ito ng galit.

"You know each other?" nalilitong tanong ni Ms.Fiona.

Naglakad papuntang upuan na bakante si Adrius saka doon naupo.

"An old friend," kinakabahang sabi ko. Nakita kong kumunot ang noo sa akin ni Adrius at muli akong tinitigan. Parang gusto ko nalang lamunin ng lupa. He hates me too. I'm informed of that. After all, he was Ruston's bestfriend. Pero bakit siya nandito?

"Just for you to know, he is one of the Head Knights of Knights Security Team," sabi ni Ms.Fiona.

Gulat na napatingin ako kay Adrius. Ang alam ko, dati ay naghahandle lang siya ng isang business about security. I did not know he is now a knight!

"So it is true that you applied for this job," seryosong sabi ni Adrius habang binabasa ang isang papel.

"Y-Yes," sagot ko.

"She's good. I mean she finished the match in less than 10 minutes," manghang sabi ni Jordin.

Pinagpatuloy namin ang pag-uusap tungkol sa rules ng team. There were about 10 rules that I, being a Knight, must fulfill everytime I am in a mission.

The first rule is to dedicate your life as a Knight. It doesn't mean to sacrifice your life. It's just that your primary priority is to protect the lives of the family as long as you could. Second, honesty is important. They didn't want any traitors in the team. Third, avoid being selfish. If you see another knight who is in danger, you can atleast save him. After all, you are in a team. Fourth, control your emotions. Your enemies can attack you through that. Fifth, be ready. You didn't know how difficult missions can be. Always condition yourself. Sixth, be a good listener. Seventh, all informations of the family would remain a secret. Eighth, informed the head of the team if you can't come in a mission. Ninth, always be updated. And lastly, you can rest if you feel too tired or sick. After all, your body is what you most needed in this job.

Pagkatapos ay ang tungkol sa salary naman ang pinag-usapan. Like most of the companies, every 15th and 30th of the month ang suweldo. It ranges for about 50,000- 100,000 pesos depending on the mission.

"Do you have any questions Ms.Thalleona?" Tanong ni Ms.Fiona.

"None, Ms. Fiona."

Kaya naman iniabot na sa akin ni Jordin ang isang kontrata.

I was reading it nang biglang magsalita si Adrius.

"Fiona and Jordin, you may now leave us. I'll take over this since I was late for an hour."

Parang bumundol ang kaba ko nang ngumiti lang sa akin si Ms.Fiona at doon ay umalis na silang dalawa.

I looked at Adrius na ngayon ay nakatingin din sa akin.

"What the hell are you thinking?" inis na tanong ni Adrius pagkaraan ng ilang segundo. Siguro ay kanina niya pa gustong magsalita pero dahil nandito sila Jordin ay iyon ang nakapagpigil sakanya.

My knees are trembling even if I'm sitting. I am not still ready for this kind of conversation!

"I'm...doing this for him-"

"You think Ruston wants to see you again?"

Napalunok ako sa tanong niya. Sumandal siya sa upuan at doon ay nakatiim bagang na tinignan ako.

"I know he did not want to see me again. But this is the least I can do for him."

"Are you saying being a knight means him forgiving you?"

Agad akong umiling.

"I would never ask for it. I d-didn't deserve it."

Tumikhim siya.

"He tried to find you for a year."

Napatingin ako sakanya. I knew that he will find me that is why I chose to go to a far island in Marinduque.

"But eventually stop when he finds out you are happy with someone else."

Kumunot ang noo ko.

"I did not have any relationships-"

"Stop lying. The investigators saw you with a man."

Gulat na napatingin ako sakanya. Is he talking about Primo?

"I'm saying the truth, Adrius. Primo is a friend."

Nakita kong tila nag-isip siya ng malalim tapos ay napabuntong-hininga.

"What would you do if Ruston finds out about this? You, being his knight all of a sudden."

His question made me froze. The last thing I want to do is for him to see me. Atleast not now.

"C-could you keep it a secret to him?"

Tila di siya makapaniwalang napatingin sa akin.

"You are not making me keep this to him."

"Not now. Please, Adrius."

He looked at me.

"Are you scared to see him because you're guilty?"

Tumango ako. Iyon naman kasi ang totoo.

"Why did you left him in the first place? He's so inlove with you," he whispered.

"I-I needed to leave him for some reason."

I cannot tell Adrius the truth. I want Ruston to be the first one to know. And I hope that time would come.

Tumayo na siya. Tila alam na hanggang doon na lang ang kaya kong masabi.

He then cleared his throat and then stared at me.

"I would keep this as a secret for now, but if he's going to ask for it, I will tell him everything."