36: An Incubus and Dead Brain Cells

Fact #3: Khalid's name was originally Valentine, and he wasn't Arabic.

Chapter 36 - An Incubus and Dead Brain Cells

Oliver

The week had been nothing but stressful and consuming, I was slowly losing my mind. A few new topics had been introduced in different courses during the time I was gone, I had to study to catch up and study even more to try to get ahead of the curriculum for occasional pop quizzes here and there. 

Thankfully, I had Kevin by my side. If I had been going about this on my own I probably wouldn't have survived. I had him and I was still doing a bad job at surviving, so going about this without him was unimaginable.

The tomes of assignment I had waiting for me alone were enough to make me actually get sick. Kevin had helped me out with some of the old ones since I had to do a little bit extra for late submission. All of that accompanied with the continuous flow of assignments from these professors almost made me scream my head off.

I couldn't believe I'd willingly chosen to lag behind by skipping school for four full days. If my mum ever found out that I'd skipped school for even a day she would flip, but mostly be disappointed. 

The reason I'd broken down and forced myself to skip school probably didn't care about me, they hadn't called or even come to see me all this while.

Most of my free time was spent in the library with Kevin who helped me catch up and move a step ahead of these unpredictable lecturers. After classes we would head straight to the nearest library, remain there till evening when the staff closed up. 

Every single day was spent like this. Even on the days I had just one lecture, I would end up coming back from school some minutes after six because I'd been in the library with the most helpful person in the entire world: Kevin. 

He truly was the only reason my head remained above the surface and I didn't end up drowning in the pool of school work. 

After a very, very stressful week, it was finally Friday. Weekend. I'd been too busy with school, I didn't have the luxury of time to sit and overthink things about Khalid. I didn't have much time for my phone either, so actively texting with Mason was a big flop as well.

Honestly, this was a good thing for me. The only time I couldn't drown out my thoughts about Khalid with words from a science text book was right before bed. Those few minutes just before I was carried away by the soothing, kindness of sleep, Khalid would always come to mind. 

At least Mason understood where I was coming from, he too was quite absorbed into school work, but not as much as I was. I had the burden of two weeks to carry on my shoulders in just one week. 

Kevin had been a really good vibe for my energy, he always found a way to make me prioritise school over everything else, especially at times when I was falling back into my emotions.