⚜️prologue ⚜️

Hope McCawley

______Six year old, Hope McCawley just got done finishing her chores

______
Six year old, Hope McCawley just got done finishing her chores. She only has two; collecting the eggs and feeding the cow. Rafe had to milk the cow and collect the tomatoes and carrots.

She secretly watched the two boys play, Danny knew she watched them play but never said anything when he was feeling generous but today was not a generous day. Hope sat on the ledge, watching them when Danny looked at her with a evil grin, she knew what was coming.

"Rafe, we got a stalker." Danny teased keeping eye contact with Hope as she kept an irritated look on her face, Rafe looked to where Danny was looking with an annoyed yet amused look.

"What are you doing here, Hope?" Rafe asked and Danny kept his evil grin. "I'm done my chores and I bored, let me play with you guys! I'll help take the ... what are they called?" Hope zoned out; the boys chuckled and agreed to let her play.

They played in the rusty barrel type thing they call a plane, Hope stopped playing and stared at her father landing the plane. They three ran to Mr. McCawley as he stepped out of the plane. "Great flying, papa!" Hope exclaimed making Mr. McCawley have a slight grin and Rafe smiled down at his sister.

"I gotta go to town for a few hours, I'll be home by dinner. Don't do anything stupid." Their father says and they watch as he drives to town. When he was out of sight Rafe looked at the other two with a smug look on his face and sprints towards the plane, Danny and Hope following behind closely.

"Alright, Hope and Danny your in the cockpit!" Rafe yells getting in the pilots seat. The two groan and get in, Hope on Danny's lap. "Sorry 'bout this." Danny whispers and Hope smiles at him. "It's Alright, Danny! All that matters is shooting Germans!" She whispered back and the three pretend to shoot. Rafe presses a random button by accident and the plane started moving.

"Rafe! Make it stop!" Hope panicked but Danny kept his arms around her waist, securing her. "I'm trying!" Rafe said back pressing another button and moving the gear stick. The plane lifted in the air for a few seconds and back down and then up and the down. While they were in the air for those seconds all the young kids felt freedom. Freedom from their run down farm, freedom from all the worries in the world, freedom from what tomorrow. It felt as if the weights were lifted off Hopes shoulders from the recent death of their mother.

When the plane stopped, a few meters away from the barn, and everything came crashing back like a waterfall. Their stuck in the run down farm, their mothers death, everything. The kids sighed as they hopped out of the plane and and ran to the Walkers front porch and sat on the swinging chair.

"I swear I'm gonna be a pilot some day." Rafe mumbled and Danny hummed in agreement. "I wish I could too, but I can't." Hope frowned and the boys sent her a sad smile.

From that day forward the kids did the same thing; chores, lunch, fighting Germans, getting to  fly in Mr. McCawleys plane. They loved their daily routines, it was simple and distressed. They had no cares in the world because they didn't need too.
-
"One day, you guys are gonna leave me here in the small crappy town to be pilots and forget about me." Hope said one chilly summer evening to the Two boys, who were sitting across from her on the front porch. Today was Hopes 16 birthday, Danny was 17 and Rafe was 18.

"We would leave you for a little while, but then come back for ya. We couldn't ever forget you!" Rafe said and then excused himself to go to the restroom. "What about you, Danny?" Hope asks looking at him.

"I planned my life out. I become a pilot, come back here, get engaged to the most beautiful girl I've ever meet, get married, have kids and still be a pilot and a awesome dad." Danny finished with a smile. Hope and Danny have been dating for 3 years now, Rafe still doesn't know and it is going to stay that way.

"That sounds wonderful." Hope says with a smile.

+++

After a 4 years; Hope 20, Danny 21, Rafe 22. The day they've been dreading for has finally came; the boys are being shipped off. It made Hopes heart swell, she didn't want the only people in her life to leave. Their father died a few months ago and then a few weeks ago Mr. Walker died.

Rafe was packing his last bag while Hope and Danny stood on the front porch; hugging each other crying. She was scared Danny will forget her and find someone else, or die or even not come back. Danny put a necklace on her, a ruby was on it with a gold chain.

"So... this is it." Hope says softly with a sad broke voice. "Yeah, I guess it is. So are we- are we done?" Danny asks sadly. "Danny we have no choice, you'll be god knows where and I do know where I'll be going for nursing yet. It won't work." Hope says and goes to talk again "I love-". "If you loved me you wouldn't end it." Danny says and walks in the car to wait for Rafe.

Rafe and Hope said their goodbyes and she watched as the boy she loved and her brother drove off into the horizon. The only thoughts she had were 'When will I see them again' and 'Danny and I are done for good, he hates me.'