We can be together

I wake up with the rays of the sun softly burning my skin. I realize I’m laying down on the porch couch. I take my keys out of my bra and I quickly go inside. All I could think of was Sandra, those yellow beady eyes and that thing or person that fought off the driver. I was pinching myself. I walk over to the house phone and I dial Sandra’s number and nothing…

“come on… pick up… please!!!’’

I hang up and I call a few of her other friends. Nobody has seen her or knows where she is. I didn’t want to call the police. They wouldn’t believe me anyways. My body was so tired and weak. I go upstairs. I see the bag in which the dress Sandra got me came in. I started to cry. Where is my friend… my sister. She’s all I got here. Ever since I moved. Things have been hard for both of us but we still pulled through because we had each other. But now I’m not so sure how I’m going to pull through. I know she can do it all on her own. But I was always the emotional one. I don’t think I could do this. I wipe my tears as I take off my dress. I decide to go take a shower. The cold water made me sleepy. I needed the rest. I step out the shower put on a shirt and shorts and I hop into bed. Hoping that by the time I wake up Sandra will be looking at me with a smile.

-

I wake up to a cold breeze. I squint my eyes and everything’s a bit blurry. Even after such a long nap I was still tired. I slowly get out of bed. I see my window is open. I get completely excited. That must mean Sandra is home. It has to be. I look outside the window but I don’t see her bike. Maybe she walked it here? It was dark outside. It was already night time. I hear a sound downstairs and a smile forms on my face. I quickly run down the stairs.

“Sandra??? Sandra!!!!! Girl don’t scare me like that…”

I heard the sound come from the kitchen and I walk in and my smile immediately disappears. I didn’t see Sandra. My mind must have been playing tricks on me. I walk over to the sink and I feel a cold breeze again. I rub my shoulders.

“are you cold?”

I gasp and turn around. Its Sandra. Standing in the doorway of the kitchen smiling. Tears start to fill my eyes. She walks over to me. Tears rolling down my cheek she wipes them. Her hands were cold but it didn’t bother me. “san… why did you leave me last-“ she puts a finger to my lips. “I’m sorry… I had something to do. I promise I’ll never leave ever again.” I chuckle. She always goes back on her promises but I didn’t care. I was just so glad she was alright… she was safe. I hug her. She squeezes me gently. “Are you hungry San? I can whip up something” I smile. She winks at me. “Well I am feeling just a little hungry.” She said. I turn around and I open the faucet. “I’ll make your favorite spaghetti” I know that was her favorite. She was silent but I know she was there. I’m there washing the dishes and I feel her hand on my neck. She gently massages my neck. I didn’t know why she was doing it but it didn’t bother me I continued washing the dishes. When I turned off the faucet I felt her hand go up my shirt and because her hand was cold I shivered and I turn around to look at her. She smirked at me. I was confused. She looked different. The warmth in her eyes are gone. “Vi, I want you to know that we… we can be together now. I have it all planned out” I look at her sideways. “what do you mean?’’ She comes closer to me. I was starting to feel uncomfortable. She leaned in closer to me. “W-what are you d-doing?” She opens her mouth. “I love you Vi… I always have and I always will. After tonight we can be together” her eyes turn yellow. Beady like the creepy driver and my knees start to get weak. “San…w-wait… I don’t understand.” She gently pulls my shirt down so my neck was more bare. “It won’t hurt…” My vision got blurry but her beady eyes I couldn’t stop staring until I saw her teeth get pointy. I all of a sudden I push her off me. My first thought was to run. I felt weak but I knew I had to try. I fell several times. “Violet don’t run from me…” I started to crawl to the front door. “Please.. d-don’t hurt me… p-please.” I feel a hand on my back and I’m being pulled up. She turns me over. “I would NEVER hurt you… can’t you see I love you. Why do you think I never paid attention to boys. I don’t care for them. I-I care for you.” I was losing consciousness. She smiles. But I managed to speak a little bit. “But why do you want to… bite m-me?” Her smile quickly disappears. “Don’t worry about that okay?” I started to gain the feeling back in my body. “n-no… no… no.. NO!!!” I didn’t realize I was already out of the house and I was running. I ran out so quick, I didn’t know where I was going.

“VIOLET!! YOU CANT OUTRUN ME!!!”

I was scared. It seemed she wanted more than friendship. I never thought she even felt that way. Is this all a dream? Is this really happening? I’d like to wake up now. I start to slow down. I turn around and all I see is darkness. The sky is cloudy so there is no moonlight insight. I then hear a twig snap and Sandra appears in front of me. She grabs me by my neck. I struggle and try to fight her off.

“Don’t fight me… I’m only doing this because I love you. Once you’re not human anymore we can truly be together forever.’’

She tightens her grip around my neck. “S-s-stop… San you’re h-hurting m-me” I was losing air quickly. I thought back on how we were little kids playing in the sand saying how we’ll be friends forever. But now it all seems like a lie. I lose feeling in my body again. It’s over now. Is this how death is supposed to feel like? Because I think I already died.

“Put her down…”

The grip around my neck loosens. I am all of sudden dropped to the ground.

“YOU!!!’

“I’ll let you live if you leave… if not, I’m afraid I’m going to have to kill you.”

I close my eyes. I didn’t want to see anything. I already felt dead. So why wait lifeless on the ground to be completely killed.

“Get out of here…now… I’m going to give you 3 seconds”

I hear Sandra’s footsteps disappear… everything was quiet. My eyes tight shut. I hear another footstep. I softly cry, iff she wasn’t going to kill me this person or thing was. I suddenly feel picked up from the ground.

*

I heard her screams… I had to do something. I wasn’t going to leave here there to die. I could sense her fear. Her heart didn’t seem to be racing. She was that scared. She didn’t even open her eyes. I know bringing her back here would cause problems between Kevin and I. But I don’t care. Her scent brought me to her.

“You know Kevin is going to rip your heart out with his bare hands, right ?”said Angelo

“I know…”

“is she… is she yours?”

I don’t look at him. My mood changed completed because he had the nerve to ask me that. As if he wanted her. He can’t have her. She isn’t mine but he just can’t have her. I clench my teeth together. He looks at me and chuckles.

“It was just a question, I’m not interested in her”

I stop clenching my teeth… I look over at her sleeping on the leather couch. She looks scared. I get up and walk over to her. She’s awake but she won’t open her eyes.

“I know you’re not really sleeping anymore… so you can open your eyes now.”

She doesn’t move. I bend down and lean in closer to her. Her scent clogging up my nose and my senses. I wanted her so bad. I needed to taste her. Would she let me? Wait why am I asking myself that. I was taught never to ask. Just take what you want. No regrets. No carried feelings. But…

“Ray!! Kevin’s here“

I stand up straight. Pulled away from my thoughts of tasting her.