Chapter 1

~4 years after the battle~

I woke up in the middle of the night, panting. At first I didn't know what woke me up, but then I remembered: the nightmare. I looked and saw that my sister and I where curled up with Father on his bed; he always had us close to him during the night, curled around us, keeping us warm in his dark black fur. I climbed out of his fur, and climbed down from the bed. I wanted to take a small walk in the house to try and shake the dream. I opened the door quietly, and walked into the large hallways of the mansion of my Grandfather. He was always mysterious in a way, but was always there when I needed to talk to anyone.

I never really understood my Grandfather, or my Granduncles either for that matter; they're different from my Father, but he says that they raised my Mother, so that means that they're her family. Even my Godmother makes me wonder, what kind of persons they are.

I stepped into the living room, and saw my Godmother sitting on the couch, reading. I didn't want to let her know I was here, so I tried my best to be quiet as I entered the kitchen.

"I know you're up River." She says startling me. I look over to her as she sets her book down and turns to face me. I look down as she comes and picks me up gently in her arms, and rubs my back softly. I nuzzle myself closer to her when she stands, and I try not to let myself become tired. "Did you have the nightmare again?" She asked me. I nodded. The nightmare I keep having always makes me scared about what's out in the world, and also makes me wonder who some of the people and wolves I saw where.

Owa sits down on the chair and let's me sit on her lap and lean my head on her. She's always been there for me and my sister, ever since we where small; well, smaller. Father said that when we where born, she offered to be our Godmother if anything happened to both him and Mother, and Mother said yes to her offer. I have no memories of her, no memories of her singing to my sister and me, none of her holding us, or keeping us warm in her fur. It seemed that I wouldn't have any about her.

Owa kissed my head, and I looked up with her with tired eyes. "You should head back to bed, River. Your Father might worry about you." She said calmly to me. I nodded, and she carried me back to our room. I let myself fall asleep in her arms; Owa was always so gentle towards us, I don't know how to thank her.

The next morning, I woke up, along with my sister, Midnight, and my Father, Shadow. It was just about sunrise, and Father says that every sunrise, he changes back to his human form because he's not strong enough to be a wolf all day and night yet. My sister and I try to understand what he means by it, but being that we are four years old, doesn't help from time to time. But every time he changed from human-to wolf-and back again, it just makes me so excited and impatient to get my ears and tail, and wonder what my pelt might look like. Same with Midnight.

Later that afternoon, Midnight and I where sitting in Grandfather's library, with lots of pieces of paper, crayons, and pencils to draw with. "What are you gonna draw, Midnight?" I asked my twin. Midnight had dirty blonde hair, and shiny green eyes that Grandfather says she got from our Mother, and I got our Mother's brown hair. Midnight looked at me. "I'm drawing what I'll look like in my wolf form when I grow up." She said with a happy tone to match our Granduncle Splendorman. I smiled, and I thought to myself, that I would draw myself as a wolf as well.

By the time we where done, my wolf was a blue and black wolf, and Midnight's wolf was red and pink. We both looked at our pictures and laughed. We both took our picture, and showed them to our Grandfather in the kitchen. "These are really good you two, better than the drawing I put up." He says to us. "Really?" I ask and look at my sister, and she looks at me with a happy look on her face. Grandfather nodded. "Indeed, how about I put them on the wall in my study for you both?" He offered. We both nodded and gave him our drawings. He picked us up as well with those strong, yet really weird things that come out of his back. We reached the study, and he sat down on his desk. We watched as he pinned the drawings on his board with the papers he had put up that he used when he was out during the night. I always wondered what they meant.

Midnight and I then where sitting in the kitchen, enjoying a snack of cut apples that Grandfather made us. "Midnight! River! I have a surprise for you both!" Our Granduncle Trenderman called. We both knew that it meant new clothes, and normally kids our age don't like those gifts a lot, but since he was the best at making clothes for us, we always rushed to his room to see what he had made for us. Midnight and I where pushing and shoving each other when we got to his room because we wanted to get our gifts first.

"I'm getting the clothes first!" She yelled.

"No I am!" I yelled back.

"Ok you two, enough fighting." Granduncle chuckled as his tentacle things came out of his back and put us in front of the mirrors he had. We both stood impatiently for our clothes to be shown to us, and for us to put them on.

One by one, our new clothes were given to us, and we modeled them as best as we could to him, and even our Father when he came in to see what Trender made us.

By the time the sun went down, Midnight and I where tired, ready to sleep the rest of the week if we could. We both climbed into bed, and got ready for Father to change into his wolf form for us, and open the curtain to let the light of the moon come into the room. Father walked in, and walked straight to the window to open the curtains, but I noticed something off about him, it looked as if he had been crying, or a little sick since his eyes looked a little pink around the edges. Midnight and I looked at each other. "Father, are you ok?" Midnight asked. He turned to us and changed into his wolf self. "Yes Midnight. I'm just fine." He said as he got into bed and curled himself around us. He gave us both a lick on the head with his tongue, and laid his head on his front paws. We twins looked at each other, and wondered if he really was ok. Our head rested on his side, and soon, all three of us drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally the first chapter of the sequel is posted. I'm so sorry it took so long everyone, but I hope it was worth the wait. Let me know what you all think about it so far.

❤️ U all 😘