Chapter 3: Not Alone

Two years later

"This isn't gonna work Ahsoka," said Ahsla. 

"Oh pish posh," said Ahsoka, with a dismissive wave of her hand. "I've done this loads of times."

"I thought Caleb hated heights," said Roshan.

"He does," said Al.

Ahsoka had gotten this wonderful idea in her head that if she attached someone to a pulley and lowered them down the side of one of the senator apartments until they got to an empty apartment, the kid, in this case Caleb, could sneak in and steal some of the "good" food. There was always some in the kitchen. This idea was bound for failure, but the younglings, being twelve, had very little sense of right and wrong. This was because they never listened to the lessons Master Reugen kept teaching them.

"How far down am I?" Caleb called. He was gripping the rope and squeezing his eyes shut. "I'm gonna say 100 feet."

"I'd say about 50!" said Ahsoka. "Keep going! You're almost there!"

"Don't look down!" Al called encouragingly.

"Too late!"

"He looks sick!" said Roshan.

"How can you tell from all the way up here?" asked Ahsla, who was helping Roshan lower the rope.

"He just threw up I think," said Al. "Gross."

"Cool," said Ahsoka. "I wonder if it hit a speeder."

"That would make one confused citizen," said Al.

The two girls burst into a fit of giggles. They had grown very close over the years, and wherever you found Al, there was usually Ahsoka right behind her.

"Hey!" said Caleb from down below. "I-I think I got some!"

"Don't think, do!" said Ahsoka, leaning over the ledge.

Al leaned with her and instantly retracted. "How do you not get queasy looking down there?"

"I don't mind heights," said Ahsoka.

"Well maybe you should do this next time," said Roshan as he and Ahsla pulled a very green looking Caleb from the wall.

"Maybe I will," said Ahsoka. She hadn't really bonded with Roshan and Ahsla that much. Caleb was just likeable to lots of people.

Al thought Ahsla and Roshan were getting more and more bossy and annoying as the younglings got older. She was getting more independent thanks to Ahsoka, Ahsoka was getting more reckless, and Caleb was getting more wise.

"This whole game isn't fun anymore," said Ahsla. She helped Caleb up. "It's not right for Jedi to be stealing."

"It's not stealing and we're not Jedi," Ahsoka said. "We're younglings. We aren't even padawans yet!"

"We're getting closer every year," said Roshan. "We can't keep up this foolishness much longer."

"I don't think it's foolish," said Al confidently.

"You just go along with everything she says!" said Ahsla, jabbing a finger at Ahsoka.

"Cut it out Ahsla," said Caleb, hugging the bag of food. "It's not nice."

"Give me the food Caleb," said Roshan.

"Why?"

"We're gonna put it back," said Ahsla. "It's the right thing to do."

"What happened to you guys?" Caleb asked. "You used to be fun."

"We're not little kids anymore Dume," said Roshan.