Chapter 11: Brotherly Love

"The key to aiwha diving is to sneak up of the slippery monsters when they can't see you," Blue Jay explained as Al leaned over the side of the deck, looking out into the murky water. 

"How can you tell if they're down there?" she asked, cuddling into her blanket that was wrapped around her shoulders.

"They make this weird high-pitched screeching noise," Red Hawk said. "It's difficult to hear, but I think you'll get it."

Al nodded. "Twi'leks have really sensitive hearing, I think I'll be fine." As she finished speaking Blue Jay shouted that he saw one and Al squealed, looking down. 

A giant, sting ray looking creature broke through the surface of the water. It let out a eerily beautiful wail that echoed off the back of their throat. It's big black eyes stared up at Al as the young Twi'lek reached out and ran her hand along it's smooth back as it dove into the water. 

"Whoa," she muttered. "They're beautiful."

"They really are," Blue Jay said in agreement. "Now you have to jump in the water and try to touch one."

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Red Hawk asked. "I mean, they just left."

"They're coming back," Al said, her eyes closed in concentration. "I can feel them."

"Here, give me your blanket," Red Hawk said, taking it off her back. "That way it's still in good shape when you're done with whatever this is supposed to be."

"Now," Blue Jay said, standing behind Al, putting his hands on her shoulders like a supportive coach. "The key is to jump in before the aiwhas get near you that way you don't spook them and they swim away. Red Hawk made that mistake ages ago, scared an entire pod of them into the air."

"In my defense, you pushed me," Red Hawk said as Al burst into a fit of giggles.

"No excuse," Blue Jay replied. "You're just clumsy."

"They're getting closer," Al said. She looked up at Blue Jay. "Now what?"

"You jump in!" Blue Jay said, spreading his arms out enthusiastically. 

"Or he pushes you," Red Hawk chimed in.

"Um, okay..." Al sat down on the side of the deck and slowly slipped into the water, plunging under the waves. 

"That wasn't a jump," Blue Jay said sadly. "That was a slide. Who slides into water?"

"People who don't want to be pushed," Red Hawk snapped. 

Al broke through and sucked in a breath of air. "They're not here yet."

"Just wait in the water, they're getting close." Blue Jay glanced out in the horizon. "What time is it?"

"14:30," Red Hawk said simply. 

"Shit," Blue Jay muttered. "Hurry up kid, we're burning daylight!"

"It's not my fault, it's the aiwhas!" Al argued. 

"Here they come," Red Hawk said, casually wrapping the blanket around his arm. 

"Quick get under the water!" Blue Jay said, tapping Al on the head. 

The girl plunged back under the water, numb noise filling her ear cones. She looked around and her eyes grew wide as the majestic aiwhas floated up and began to circle her. One bumped into her playfully. They seemed smaller than the one she had pet before. Running her hand along the creatures smooth side, she giggled sending a stream of bubbles up to the surface. Eventually air became vital and she resurfaced.