Chapter 12: Jealous

It was nearing dusk. The group was near the fire cooking up squirrels Daryl had gotten earlier that day. Maria and Daryl were currently cozy in their tent. Maria and Daryl got up so they could dress and go get something to eat.

They walked to the group hand in hand. Maria was trying to avoid Glenn's glares. She had no interest in him, yet he seemed so persistent and protective. Lori handed Maria a plate and did the same for Daryl. "Thank you," Maria said. Daryl just nodded. Daryl sat on the ground in front of a log and Maria placed herself between his legs. "Your hair is pretty." Maria looked over to see a small girl staring at her. "Oh...thanks." She said, slightly embarrassed by the sudden attention she was getting. "That's Sophia, Carol's daughter," Lori said. "You have kids?" Carol asked her. Maria could feel Daryl tense up behind her. "You're probably too young. You're what? 21?" Lori asked. "26," Maria said. The group looked up at her. "Really? You look younger." Dale commented. "How old are you Daryl?" Dale asked. "28." He said gruffly. "How long have you been together?" Lori asked.

"Um..." Maria thought. "Almost eleven years," Daryl spoke up. "Wow! That's a long time." Dale smiled. Maria didn't want to talk about their personal life. The less they knew the easier it would be to rob their camp. Maria, Daryl, and Merle had a long conversation about raiding the camp after the run into the city. "How'd you meet?" Lori asked pulling Carl closer. "School," Maria said quietly. "Oh! There's more than that. You just don't meet someone and stay together for eleven years. What'd he do to win you over?" Dale chuckled. Maria looked to Daryl for answers. He shrugged his shoulders not caring if she told them. "We got paired up for a project in English. He came over to my house and I ended up staying with him that night and I never left. He quit school and then I quit." Maria said. Carl and Sophia were now asleep.

"You slept with him on the first night. He was 18 and you'd be what? 16? That's statutory rape!" Glenn yelled. "I was a virgin until I married him," Maria said bitterly. "Why ya' care anyways Chinaman?" Daryl growled, putting his arm over Maria's shoulder and pulling her back against his chest. Glenn said nothing. The group remained silent, scared to say anything. "Alright guys, let's turn in," Shane said. Daryl got up and headed for the tent. Maria stood up and stretched. Glenn walked over to her. "Hey. I'm sorry about what I said." Glenn apologized. "It's okay." Maria smiled. "You deserve better though," Glenn said. "You don't know him." Maria stood up for Daryl. "I've seen how he acts. He's mean to you. Gives you no choices. Whatever Daryl says goes. When was the last time he let you do anything for yourself?" Glenn asked. "Uh-" Maria couldn't think of a time. "Exactly." He said. "I'm gonna' get to bed," Maria said. Glenn walked over and hugged her, then kissed her cheek. "Night." He said. "Night," Maria said awkwardly.

She finally reached her tent and crawled in. She tried snuggling up to Daryl, but he pushed her away. Maria knew why he was upset. He saw her and Glenn. Maria had nothing to hide from him. Glenn only kissed her cheek and she couldn't help it if he liked her. They went to be angry at each other for the first time.

Maria woke up alone after for the first time since the outbreak. Daryl never got up without her being awake or telling her. Maria stepped out of the tent. Daryl had his back turned and he was cleaning his arrows. She walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

He quickly turned around with a fist raised. Maria backed away quickly in fear. Maria didn't know if he did it by accident. Did he want to hit her? Did he know it was her? "Maria, I-" she stormed off back to camp. She could hear his footsteps. Shins her. She ran into Glenn. "Hey, are you okay? Why are you crying?" She didn't know she was crying and was embarrassed. "Um... Daryl he raised his fist at me and-" "Oh my god! He hit you?" Glenn asked putting and hand on her face. Maria slapped his hand away. "You don't understand." She said. "Maria!" It was Daryl. He looked for her in the camp.