29: Empire

Lord Voldemort played by Ralph Fiennes

The castle continued to shake as violent spells were thrown at them, which indeed looked and felt like very large fireballs, or even miniature comets raining from the sky

The castle continued to shake as violent spells were thrown at them, which indeed looked and felt like very large fireballs, or even miniature comets raining from the sky. The Prefects raced down the moving staircases from the Prefect common room, jumping from staircase to staircase in a hurry to reach the courtyard, where Voldemort and his followers would no doubt be pooling by the time they all filed into the castle grounds. There was chaos everywhere, students were running around like the world was ending and the castle walls were beginning to collapse on themselves. Rubble and cobblestone started to gradually block off hallways and exits, and soon there wasn't much choice but to escape through the courtyard.

As the band of students finally made it to their destination, they saw that there was indeed a large pack of Deatheaters storming their way to the front of the castle. The teacher and faculty tried desperately to keep the students calm and contained from Voldemort, who no doubt would begin his killing spree at the slightest inconvenience. With Skye leading the group, she attempted to cut through the crowds of frenzied people but was halted by an outstretched arm. It was Professor McGonagall.

"Professor, we must get through," She pleaded frantically. The elder held her overpowering stare and remained unfazed.

"I'm afraid I cannot let you advance any further, Miss Inkwell." The witch looked directly into her teacher's eyes. They showed anxiety, hope, and determination.

"Please, we know why He's here," She insisted as she gestured to her friends. McGonagall looked over the group of Prefects as she explained her further reasoning. "We won't allow him to kill innocent witches and wizards just because they're not pureblood." The professor snapped her attention back to Skye like she'd just slapped her. Obviously she was very taken aback that Skye knew so much about the matter, probably wondering how she'd found out. Without questioning the students any further, she sighed and pursed her lips.

"Your bravery exceeds you," She complimented the group. "However, I refuse to see you put yourselves in danger."

Ron's head perked up above the friends, "Yeah, well, we've kinda sworn to the Unbreakable Vow so we have to." Skye rolled her eyes and watched as McGonagall's eyes widened even further.

"We must speak with Professor Dumbledore and Snape before they get here." The teacher returned her gaze to the young witch before her. Even now as she refused to back down to a challenge, the professor envied how pure at heart she was. She'd always noticed how Skye carried a certain light inside of her, and never did manage to figure out why she liked her as a student so much more than any of the others. This, however, made it fully clear. As this young witch stood ready to face death, she continued to fight for the good in all things, just as she did throughout her entire time at Hogwarts. McGonagall never failed to see her good intentions, and still, Skye never ceased to amaze her.