Chapter 21: Forgotten Connection (Reupload)

The next day at school, Meliodas would constantly avoid Elizabeth. After every class she would approach, only for him to continue walking without referencing her existence. Seeing this happen visibly bothered Galand and made Melascula happy. "Our prince is so cold~" she would coo after every time Meliodas ignored Elizabeth.

Eventually, Meliodas grew tired of her constant meddling. "What is it goddess?" He growled at the girl. "Why do you hate me for something I didn't do?" She asked firmly. "No comment. Now piss off." He hissed as he began walking again.

The young goddess quickly grabbed his arm as he walked behind her. "You know I didn't do it. You won't admit it but you know. So I ask again. Why hate me for something that you know I didn't do?" She asked determined. "Do I need a reason to hate someone who took the side of enemies who tried to kill me?" He mumbled as he snatched his arm away. Elizabeth stood motionless as she could do nothing but watch the short demon get farther and farther away.

'Why? Why do I hate her? She hasn't done shit to me! Why does my body desperately cling to such petty reasons to hate her!'  Meliodas thought to himself while he kept the same old poker face. He was so preoccupied that he bumped into someone in front of him. "Woah captain. Someone's distant today~" a familiar voice called to him. "Drop it Ban. He doesn't seem to be in the mood." Another voice spoke.

"Ban. King. What's up?" He asked while hiding his obviously racing mind. "Nothin' much. We just wanted to know if you wanted to hang with the sins today after school." Ban asked with excitement evident in his tone. "Usually I would but not today. Me and the commandments have to train. Sorry." He spoke while avoiding eye contact. "No problem Meliodas?" King said confused. "We should totally hang out with altogether with the commandments and the sins." Ban slurred happily. "I'll talk to them about it. See ya." Meliodas waved as he walked out of the school's front door.

"You noticed too right King?" Ban asked. "Yeah. Something happened to him. We should follow him." King answered.

At the commandments' training field, things were heating up. Meliodas lost control of his emotions for a split second and it nearly killed Galand. "Seriously...why am I always the butt of the jokes?" He joked. "Because you're arguably the weakest here. You're basically just a glorified lie detector~" Melascula mocked as all the commandments but Meliodas and Galand laughed.

"Anyway, I have a question my prince." Galand asked while bowing. "Ask away. But I already told you guys. Drop the royal crap." Meliodas hissed the last part. Galand gulped and began his question. "Why are you always so distant with the goddess?"

"Huh? Why wouldn't I be?" Meliodas asked confused. "Because..." Galand nervously trailed off. "The two of you were close as kids. You were pretty much inseperable. One could say that you loved each other." Gloxinia explained.

"And before you ask, we know because it was our job to watch you. We would often...bully the two of you under orders from the Demon King. However, one day our orders changed. They were to slightly bully you and see how you would react. Then they became to beat you to the point of near death. Of course, we were uneasy about beating our young prince to near death but...orders were orders." Deriere explained.

"Of course we didn't know why they changed until the day after. After one threat, it was like you were a different person. Your strength went from that of a fly to being uncomparable to even us." Drole continued.

"What the hell? You bastards bullied me? How weak was I?" Meliodas joked. "Anyway, I don't understand. How does the goddess tie into any of this?"

"It's simple. The reason you would actually almost die from each attack was because of her." Monspeet answered.

"I knew it! She's an enemy!" Meliodas shouted triumphantly.

"Will you just listen! You almost died because you would protect her. We would launch an attack at you but she would be behind you. You knew that if you dodged, she would get hit so you took the attacks. We would often take advantage of this and aim attacks at her just to get you to take them." Melascula finished.

"Whoa...so you mean to tell me...that I actually cared about the goddess? Hold on...so how did I forget her? Shouldn't she still remember me? Right before the fight with the archangels, she didn't even know my name. So that could only mean one thing...someone's lying. Is it her? Or you?" He growled as his darkness began to form. Galand stepped forward and kneeled.

"Need I remind you of my commandment?" He humbly asked. "Tch. Fair point. I'll just ask the sins tomorrow. But now that the tension is gone, we can have fun while training." Meliodas said as he gave them a childish smile. The commandments exchanged glances and they all smiled as they rushed Meliodas together. "This should be interesting." They said in unison.

"Did you hear that King?"

"Yeah. What are we gonna do when he asks us Ban?"

"Woah woah woah. That's the wrong question. What are you gonna do when he asks? I'm gonna tell him that I don't know." Ban said with a smirk. "Aw c'mon Ban! Help me out here." King whined.

"You know what....I will. If you release the spell on the princess." Ban demanded. "No can do. They have to resolve this themselves. As long as they accidentally do things to trigger Elizabeth's memory, the spell will wear off." King explained. "That's cool and all but there's a problem." Ban calmly spoke. "Really? What is it?" King asked.

"They're basically two different people! There's no way that they'll do the same things again!" Ban shouted. "Then that just means they weren't meant to be!" King shouted back. "Like you and Diane?!" Ban screamed. "No but more like you and Elaine!" King replied.

Suddenly, a look of fear swept across King's face. "B-Ban..." he nervously stammered. "What do you want now?" Ban angrily asked. "Weren't the commandments training over there?" He asked quietly. "Yeah? Why do you-" Ban felt a chill down his spine as he turned to face the field and saw no one there. "You don't think they heard us do you?" He asked King. "I-I hope n-not."

"Let's just hope you can find an excuse for Meliodas tomorrow." Ban joked as they ran away.

The next day, Meliodas approached the duo before first period. "What's up guys?" He asked with a grin. "Just about to go to first period. You?" Ban asked. "I just wanted to ask you guys a question." He replied happily. "Sure! What is it captain?" Ban replied.

"Huh? I thought you'd know since you were eavesdropping on me and the commandments yesterday." Meliodas said with an evil smile.

*Gulp*