CHAPTER THREE

Emi sent the location of the bakery to Tanaka as she sat in the kitchen with her Mom. The bakery was officially opening to the public the next day, so her Mom was baking up a storm.

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" Emi asked her Mom as she whisked some eggs. Emi usually baked with her Mom when she returned from school, but for some reason, her Mom didn't need her help. "We're opening tomorrow, I wanna make sure everything's perfect."

"Nope, you just prepare for your date with that boy." Her Mom teased, smiling over at her blushing daughter.

"It's not a date, Mom. We're working on a project." Emi said bashfully, biting into a chocolate chip cookie.

"Sure, just remember, I hear everything in here." Her Mom continued teasing her. Emi rolled her eyes playfully and smiled. Her Mom and her were always close, barely ever arguing, and when they did, it was about the right way to make a certain baked good.

The bell in the main area rang, signalling someone entered the bakery. Emi picked up her backpack and left the kitchen, meeting Tanaka in the customer area.

"Hey!" Tanaka greeted her. "This place is nice!" She smiled.

"Thank you. My Mom wanted everything to be perfect for the opening." Emi explained. She motioned for him to sit down on a two-person table, decorated with white tablecloths and rose jars. The two sat down before Emi suddenly shot up.

"Do you want a milkshake or something?" Emi asked. Tanaka was about to answer before Emi grabbed his arm and stood him up. "Come see what we have, you can have anything you want!"

She guided him to the kitchen, which was full of every baked good you could dream of. His mouth was agape as he looked around. No wonder she always smelled of baked goods. Seeing her so enthusiastic about something made his heart feel warm and fuzzy.

"Wow..." He said breathlessly. Emi smiled. "Could we have milkshakes?"

"Sure!" She exclaimed, opening a cabinet and taking out two milkshake glasses. She began making hers, putting strawberry ice cream and milk into the blender. "What kind do you want?"

"Uh... chocolate?" He replied. She nodded and smiled, taking out the chocolate ice cream. She did the same with his and placed it in the blender. She could see her Mom wink out of the corner of her eye. Once the milkshake was blended, she poured it into a glass and poured whipped cream on both, adding homemade chocolate shavings on his and cut strawberries on hers.

They carried their drinks out to their table, taking out their notebooks for the project.

"We talked about my family, what about yours?" Tanaka asked as he sipped his milkshake.

"Well, there's my Mom and I, and my Dad and little sister, but they live in Korea." She explained, looking down at her paper. She hated thinking about her Dad.

"Why don't they live with you?" Tanaka asked, confused. Emi sighed lightly.

"My parents got a divorce like... four years ago. They never really got along, they only stayed together as long as they did because I was born." She said, "I got to stay with Mom and Mika went with Dad. I haven't heard from them since then."

"I'm... so sorry." Tanaka said, looking at her sadly. Emi smiled lightly.

"It's fine, I'm happy here." She reassured him, "I wouldn't be happy with my Dad. So, moving on, what are your hobbies, like, what do you do after school?"

"I play volleyball for Karasuno." He said. Emi's eyes widened, she looked excited.

"Really?! Could I come watch you someday?" She asked. He blushed slightly, she wanted to see him play?

"We have a practice tomorrow, you could come watch." He suggested. She smiled excitedly.

"I'll be there!"

The two continued with the project, having a grand time, until around 6pm, when Tanaka had to leave. The two packed up their notebooks, putting their backpacks on their back.

"I'll see you tomorrow." She said. She looked like she wanted to do something, but decided against it. Instead, she wrapped her arms around his middle. He was shocked for a moment, before hugging her back. When they pulled away, the both of them were blushing. Tanaka waved goodbye and left the bakery.

Emi smiled to herself, feeling breathless from a simple hug. What was this feeling? She felt so light on her feet, her heart leaping in her chest.

~
this is probably the last chapter for today, but who knows?
I love u all <3
-Faith

771 words