Chapter 5

Taehyung was now starting to think that coming here was a bad idea. He had been waiting more than an hour for his mate, but no wolf showed up. Not even the scent. He wasn't exactly surprised, more disappointed than anything. He had deliberately come in his human form, because his Alpha scent was much more prominent in V, and he didn't want to scare his mate away.

Sighing, he crossed his legs, waiting for anything to happen.

Suddenly, a dagger whizzed past his head, missing it by centimeters. Jumping to his feet, Taehyung hefted his bow, swiftly nocking an arrow. Another dagger came hurtling toward him, and without Taehyung's sharp reflexes, the weapon would have pierced his forehead straight on.

There was a pause, as Taehyung tried to locate the source of the attacks, while his attacker seemed to be debating where to aim next.

As if on cue, a dagger shot out of the trees directly at his neck, but this time Taehyung was ready. Drawing back his bowstring, he fired an arrow straight at the incoming weapon. The arrow and dagger met in midair with such force, that both were thrown backwards onto the ground. He heard the attacker curse from the bushes.

He deflected three more attempts in this way.

Seeing that his plan was failing, the attacker growled, stopping his series of throws. Taehyung waited, the arrow in his hand ready to fly.

The next second, a white shape burst from the undergrowth, a knife in his right hand. The person was masked, with only his eyes visible from slits made in the intricately carved silver.

Beautiful cobalt blue eyes.

And Taehyung would recognize those eyes anywhere.

Not wanting to hurt his mate, Taehyung waited until the ravenette was within striking distance, then lunged.

Taken aback by his sudden movement, his mate stopped for a mere second, but that was all Taehyung needed. Ignoring V, who was howling with joy, he held the younger's wrist in a vice-like grip, forcing him to let go of his weapon. His left hand grabbed the other knife tucked into the Omega's sash, and threw it on the ground a good 5 meters away. Once he was satisfied that the danger was gone, Taehyung turned his attention back to his mate, only to find cobalt blue eyes staring directly into his.

Both males stared at each other for a moment, lost in each other's eyes. The close contact between them made calming tingles spread through both Taehyung and his mate, and for a moment, they were in a place of tranquility. The Omega relaxed a bit in his Alpha's hold, and Taehyung cracked a smile. It was only when Taehyung made the mistake of putting his hand on the younger's face, that the spell was broken.

Blinking his eyes to clear them, the ravenette started struggling in Taehyung's hold, kicking at the Alpha's knees.

"Let. Me. Go." he growled, landing an especially hard punch with his leg. If he had been any lesser of an Alpha, Taehyung probably would have been wincing in pain, but as a Trueblood he felt nothing. He even felt a bit amused at his mate's feeble attempts to get free.

"Honestly, I'm not going to hurt you. You're my mate, remember? I'll do everything in my power to protect you," Taehyung sighed, voice growing sad. "Why do you hate me so much? I don't even know your name and you're already pushing me away. Have I done something wrong? My name is Kim Taehyung by the way."

His mate stopped struggling long enough to answer. "All Alphas want to do is to take advantage of us weak Omegas. I've survived without a mate for 20 years, and I can survive for a 100 more. I don't need an Alpha mate who'll only use me for sex, then discard me like nothing after he finds someone better. I've seen enough of that thanks to my former pack, and I don't want to end up like that. You're probably no better than the rest of them, so get lost. And the name's Jeongguk."