Chapter One

Anne was laughing with Anna in line for testing, "As if! There is no way I am going to get an entertainment career like I want. With my luck, I'll be in the Maid's Unit."

Anna shrugged, "I want a political career myself."

"Not my thing." Anne replied, "I wanna dance and sing!"

Anna nodded along, focusing more on the ticking clock. She and her best friend, Anne were both in the same group for job and spouse testing since they lived near each other though you may think that was the reason Anne and Anna were friends, it wasn't. Anne's mother, Elizabeth Boleyn worked in the Home Unit which meant you didn't work at all. Anna's mother, Maria of Julich-Berg worked in the Political Unit and they often saw each other as Elizabeth visited the Political Unit frequently to visit her husband and pick him up as Thomas Boleyn worked in the Political Unit as well. Anna's father was a representative and worked with Thomas so the families were soon friends thus arranging times for Anne and Anna to meet up.

Anna sighed, "I wish we were in the same testing group for death age and children as well."

Anne nodded, "But we can't have what we want. That's the whole reason they created this system. Because of people's choices."

"I know. I know. I just wish that.. I just wish that we had more choice in life."

Anne shook her head, looking around, "Don't say that."

Anna nodded, as the bell rang for the next group and they entered, scared but confident.

Meanwhile, Katherine Howard was waiting in line for her death age and children testing, fiddling with her hands. Katherine's family were not well off, it was pretty much guaranteed that she would be in one of lower units like the Maid's Unit or the Pleasure Unit but Katherine just wanted to sing, unfortunately, it was unlikely that she would be in the Entertainment Unit. So her hopes had drifted down into one, not to be in the Pleasure Unit.

Joyce Culpepper, Katherine's mother was a writer in the Entertainment Unit but her works were harsh and rarely got published, leaving them with little to no money. Katherine's father was a whole other story. He was a part of the Disgrace Unit since he had been fired from his job as a politician almost immediately. He would come home, drunk everyday and beat his wife and daughter.

Katherine focused on the dwindling line ahead, as the minute hand on the clock got closer and closer to 12 when she would be going in.

Jane was a few metres away with her parents and siblings. Thomas Seymour was patting her on the back, "Make sure to get a wealthy spouse and help me out."

Edward nodded along, laughing. Jane was not amused. She was really really worried. What if she didn't have a spouse? What if she was in the Disgrace Unit... Or arguably worse, the Pleasure Unit? Her parents were by her side, hugging her. There were only a few minutes till 12. Her mother was lucky in her testing, being granted a long life, no job needed and a wealthy kind spouse. Jane hoped the same thing would be granted for her. Her father was an officer who stopped anyone from breaking the law. Her brothers, Edward and Thomas were both politicians, good jobs. Jane hoped that because her mother was in the Home Unit, Jane would be as well even though it would be nice to be able to work for herself, the best thing a woman could hope for was a good husband and no job needed.

She stared across the line to the two girls who were talking together in the next line. Her mother followed her view.

"That's Catherine Parr and Catherine of Aragon, they're cousins and quite well-off too. Hopefully, your spouse will be William Parr, Catherine's brother." her mother chimed in. 

Her mother was interrupted as the bell for testing rang, sending Jane, Catherine of Aragon, Catherine Parr, Katherine Howard, Anna of Cleves and Anne Boleyn rushing through the large doors.