Chapter Nine

Anne trudged down the street, making the walk of shame to the Disgrace Unit. She had been fired and now she was at the dread Disgrace Unit.

Knocking on the glass doors, they slid open and she blushed. The admin pointed towards a small door and she went in, fists clenched.

There was a small group of people there all seemingly waiting to talk to the Disgrace Heads. Spotting a familiar face, Anne sat down next to Anna, "What are you doing here? Did you get fired?"

Anna shook her head, "No! Nothing like that. Henry sent me to do some negotiating to give the people a little more freedom. He thinks it'll win him some votes." she lied.

"Who's Henry?"

"Oh! Sorry, I forgot you didn't know. He's the politician I'm advising."

Anne looked at her feet, "You're doing well then."

"Yeah. What about you?"

"I- I got fired."

Anna looked away, "Oh." she started getting up, "Well- I better go."

"What?"

"Look, I can't be associated with you."

Anne just stared at her, broken with no one to pick up the pieces.

Anna hurried off, trying to ignore the lie she had just told. Henry wasn't interested in freedom. She was only there because of- because of the child.

She approached the front desk and quickly whispered why she was there, "I- I'm pregnant."

The woman gasped and pointed to the next door unit, "That's the mistake unit."

Anna nodded.

She headed into the mistake unit and left feeling strangely relieved but also as if something had been taken from her.

The child was gone.

Meanwhile, Cathy was waiting for her husband, Thomas to get home so she could show her this new book.

Hearing the car outside, she quickly put on some coffee, knowing he would need it after a long day at work.

He came inside and Cathy gave him the coffee. He smiled and she knew this was her chance, "Hey, I was wondering whether you'd like to read this book I've been writing."

"I suppose."

She gave him the printed copy and her mind drifted off to Jane and their kiss.

The slamming of the bin brought her mind back to focus and she saw Thomas throwing her papers away into the bin, "What? Why?"

"You are ridiculous! They're never going to publish this stuff! You hear me? NEVER!" he screamed, "JUST WRITE SOMETHING HAPPY!"