Chapter 22: Crack-up

"It's sad, but life is full of sudden goodbyes."-Unknown

Dexter POV

It has been two weeks since Elsie's dad's funeral. I manage to help her to settle everything even though she treated me like an invisible man again after I told her that I'm the one behind her dad's death. I knew I shouldn't admit the thing that I didn't do but that time I just wanted to save her from the warehouse. That was all matter.

"Good morning, sweet pie." I hugged her small figure from behind. She was seated on the table looking at the maid setting up the table.

"Morning, daddy." We exchange morning kisses like always.

"Where is Elsie?" I asked the maid that busy serving the breakfast.

"Still in the room, sir." She changed, isolated herself from everyone even from Andrea, and locked herself in the room. Most of the time, I need to force her to eat. I can't blame her for that, losing the loved one was the greatest loss.

"Dad, Elsie doesn't want to be my friend anymore," Andrea said sullenly.

"It's not like that, sweet pie. She just lost her dad. She needs some time to be alone and we need to give her some space. She will be back once she gets enough time to recover, okay?" I knew it wasn't easy but I hope it won't take her too long to recover, to get better.

"Ok, dad. I promise I won't disturb her."

"Good girl," I patted her head.

"Let's finish our breakfast. Daddy needs to go to the office today, make sure you behave like always, okay?"

She nodded while munching on the chocolate muffin.

I was busy in the company with some meetings and paper works. The maids reported to me every hour as I requested. She doesn't open the door and locked herself for the whole day not even eaten anything. I rushed back home after all the important meetings.

Now, I need to deal with her.

I arrived at the mansion and straightly went to her room. I knocked on the door a few times but no answer. The door was locked too.

"Elsie, open the door," I demanded. I heard nothing from inside.

"Elsie, if you are not going to open the door, I will use my own way to open the door." I raised my voice hoping that she heard every single word that I mentioned. Still, silence.

I felt the temper started to boil in my body. Without thinking much, I kicked the shining wooden door hard for few times. She chose this way so just be it. The door finally opened at my third kicks.

I saw her sitting on the bed while staring blankly at the wall, ignoring the fact that I just kicked her bedroom door. She doesn't even spare me a glance. Yeah, I almost forgot that she viewed me as her dad's killer. She hates me, which is right.

"I called you for few times why don't you answer? Can't you hear it?" I controlled my anger tried to tolerate her condition.

She laid down on her bed and making her back to face me. I sighed and raked my hair. I don't know how long I can endure the cold shoulder. I rather she curses me with bad words or does something that hurts me physically.

"What can I do to make you feel better?" I stepped closer to her and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Elsie, talk to me, we can solve this." I pleaded.

She finally sat on the bed and turned to look at me or better to say stared deathly at me. At that moment, I noticed she lost some weight, her body became skinny and her face looked pale. This was the worst version of her which I hate to witness.

"There is only one way to solve this." That was the first sentence that she said to me after two weeks.

"Tell me, I will do it for you." Her willingness to speak to me makes me happy. At least, it shows some progress.

"An eye for an eye." Her eyes darken, only filled with hate and vengeance.

"What do you want?"

"I want to kill you!" She gritted her teeth, spit out every word.

"No, you won't do that. You are not that kind of person."

"Try me." She raised her brow. I don't like this version of her.

"Ok," I moved and stood in front of her, shoving the gun that I kept at my waistband all the time.

"Here, as you wish." I threw the gun on the bed near her feet. She stared at the gun for a while, probably fighting with her subconscious.

"Come on, do it." I shoved the gun at her palm and made her hold it firmly. She held the gun with both of her hands and stood across me.

"Here," I pointed to my chest, right at my heart. "Just one bullet and you won't see me again."

I can see her hesitation. She battled with herself either to threw the gun away or shoot me.

"If this will make you feel better, do it," I said ignoring the fact that she will really kill me with one shot to my heart but I really meant my word.

She stared at my face and I saw she pulled the trigger.

Bang!

She finally chose to shot me. I looked at the injured part of my body. The blood flowing out from my arm. I might look like an insane person but I'm happy when she shot me on my arm not right at my heart. She doesn't want to kill me and she doesn't have that intention. After all, she stills the angel, not a devil like me.

Few of my men rushed to the room upon the gunshot.

"Boss, what happens?" My right man asked, looking at me and Elsie back and forth.

"Nothing, this is between us. Please leave us," I send my order while pressing on my arm. My right man commanded the rest of the men to leave and closed the door.

I averted my attention back to her. She threw the gun on the floor and moved backward till she reached the wall. She stumbled and seated on the floor, squeezing at the corner. She wrapped her legs with her arms and rested her chin on her knees.

I stepped closer to her and kneeled with one knee placed on the floor to level myself. My hand still pressed on my right arm, the blood-stained my shirt. It was a bit torn. I caressed her cheek with the back of my hand. I missed the skin contact with her.

"You okay?" I asked out of concern.

All I heard was a sob coming out from her lips and tears began to rush from her eyes. Her sob becomes louder as if the pain was escaped from her heart after two weeks of being locked.

I pulled her closer to my embrace with one hand. She didn't push me away this time but she shoved herself closer and wrapped her hand on my neck while buried her face on my chest.

The shot was worth it. I muttered inaudibly.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤