4

apologies for the wait. brain said 'ew words, no thanks'

__./\.__

07:42 AM

It's another day and Kageyama is pulling– more like dragging himself out of his bed. He fell to the floor with a loud THUMP!, his body slammed into the hardwood as he let out a mix of a groan and a yawn.

Yesterday was… eventful, to say the least. He couldn't really wrap his head around what happened. Hinata seemed fine when he woke up the first time, he didn't have any scratches or bruises, he certainly wasn't dismembered or even decapitated, thank God. But Hinata also ran off before Kageyama could even ask what happened.

'How did he carry me back in the first place? That idiot could barely hold a ball with one hand.'

He scratched his head in annoyance as he tried to remember anything from yesterday's affair but nothing came to mind. All he could remember was the screams of the victim that was quickly devoured by a ghoul and…

'... a flash of orange…? Was it Hinata after all?'

He took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled out his mouth. He should worry about other things right now. He felt fine but also tired at the same time as if his body couldn't decide between the two and just settled on confusing him with both feelings. Another groan left him, eyes closed shut. He could feel the heat from the light through his eyelids. His legs were left on the bed as the sheets clung onto his body. He forced his eyes open and the sun's rays immediately blinded him through his windows. Fuck. He forgot to close the curtains yesterday. He rubbed his eyes with the heels of his palm in an attempt to drive the sleepiness away, 'Why didn't my alarm go off?'  Well, this was a first, Kageyama slept through his alarm. The teen would routinely wake up before the alarm and get ready for the day before Hinata would even wake up to his alarm, nevertheless, he clawed his way off the floor and kicked the sheets off his feet and then made his way to the bathroom attempt to get prepared for the morning practice. If he could make it in time, that is.

./\.

08:03 AM

The sounds of rubber soles squeaking and bouncing off the walls filled the gym. It was mere silence other than the short words of encouragement from the team's coach and the loud grunting of when bodies had hit the floor during dive drills. Normally a fight would break out by now, either between Hinata and Kageyama, Hinata and Tsukishima, or Hinata with a volleyball. Depends on the day, really.

Kageyama could hear everything by just being outside the building. The doors were closed and yet he could still hear the screams of Hinata calling for another set. He heaved out a sigh, his head felt like someone was chucking bricks at it, but he couldn't let that stop him from attending what's left of the morning practice. He entered the gymnasium, making everyone in it turn to him from just hearing the metal door click open. A volleyball had fallen to the floor, no spiker attending it when Kageyama came in. Their jaws had dropped to the floor from shock. No one spoke or even dared to make any sort of noise; the silence became deafening to the ear. Coach Ukai was the one who broke that silence. He walked up to Kageyama and gave him a pat on the back with a big grin on his back. The pat was a lot harsher than it was supposed to be, making the young setter jerk forward from the force alone as he let out a choked yelp.

"Kageyama! Glad to see you back! I heard from these guys that you skipped school yesterday," Ukai took Kageyama's head in his hand and ruffled his hair in a playful manner, chuckling a bit, "Takeda-sensei was worried for you, y'know? If you still don't feel all that great, go ahead and take a breather on the benches," he points over his shoulder to the benches where Kiyoko and Takeda sat, "We know that this head of yours only think of volleyball but you gotta take a break every once in a while, aight?" He messes up his hair once again, earning a grumble from Kageyama trying to pat down the strands of hair that refused to adhere to gravity.

"I'm fine, Coach," Kageyama says after taming his rustled hair, "I still want to practice," he says with a stoic face but his eyes held the persistence he was trying to convey with his words, "Yesterday was a fluke. I'll work a thousand times harder to make up for my absence! I'm sorry for not coming up yesterday. I want to bring you guys to victory!" His voice raised as he finished his declaration. Ukai went quiet, staring at Kageyama with wide eyes before his expression slowly eased into a smirk, ruffling the prodigy's hair once more as he felt a surge of pride and happiness crash through him like a giant wave. The coach was damn proud to see this kid keep on growing and growing as a person. He let out a loud laugh, "That sounds like something you should say on the court! Alright, kid, get in there," he gave another pat on his back. Only this time, he pushed Kageyama forward. He gave a thumbs up when the setter turned around in surprise. He received a smirk from him before Kageyama ran to the court to be greeted by Sawamura with a grand smile. The others had jogged up to Kageyama to welcome him back to practice along with asking him about what had happened yesterday that made him skip school in the first place. Tsukishima, of course, had blocked all sound from entering his ears during this, and during the speech the setter had abruptly begun to blurt out. He isn't a middle-blocker for nothing.

Hinata, however, stayed on the other side of the net, watching the rest of the team flock Kageyama with trivial questions. He just stared as if he was waiting on something to happen. His stomach churned. Something is really not right.

'Shit. I think he knows what happened.'