FOUR pt.1

FOUR pt.1 | Unfortunate

[ Narrator's Perspective ]

The morning in Clerveil was vibrant, the air filled with the promise of a bustling day. Ray's group had eagerly continued on their mission to find Ninelie, their friend who seemed to have vanished into thin air. Despite their exhaustive efforts, Ninelie remained beyond their reach.

Phil twisted a pen, conjuring a holographic projection that connected them with Norman's group on the other side of Clerveil. Norman's weary face appeared on the projection, his frustration evident.

   "No luck on our side either," Norman reported, his voice tinged with disappointment.

Emma, standing beside Norman, chimed in, "There's a lot of people over here, so it makes it hard to search."

Ray listened intently, his mind racing with thoughts of their next move, "I see. For the time being, let's all meet up here near the market," he suggested, hoping to regroup and strategize their search efforts.

Emma and Norman nodded in agreement, their determination unwavering, "Alright," they responded in unison.

With a flick of his wrist, Phil closed the projection, stowing the pen away in his pocket. Despite their best efforts and the formation of search parties, Ninelie remained a ghost in the crowded cityscape.

   "We won't be able to stay much longer. We'll be late for the ferry," Gilda reminded them, her practicality grounding the group in reality, "Let's return."

Ray nodded in agreement, his gaze fixed on the map of Clerveil as he led the way out of the market. The Vernalis Festival had drawn most of the city's inhabitants to the center, leaving the market relatively deserted—a prime opportunity for their search.

As they traversed the bustling streets, the girl emerged from a nearby pharmacy, her hands filled with supplements. Determined to complete her errands, she hurried towards the exit, hoping to evade the increasing throngs of festival-goers.

Suddenly, three children darted past her, one of them colliding with Clementine in their haste.

   "Ah! Watch where you're going!" she exclaimed, her irritation palpable.

Ray's attention was instantly piqued by the commotion, his instincts urging him to investigate, "Go on without me!" he called to his companions before darting off in pursuit.

Confusion flashed across Gilda's face as she watched Ray disappear into the crowd, "What? Hey, Ray!" she called after him, but her voice was lost amidst the bustling atmosphere.

Ray navigated the maze-like streets with determination, his senses heightened as he searched for any sign of Ninelie. Each step brought him closer to the source of his unease, his heart pounding in his chest.

Then, amidst the cacophony of voices, he heard it—a familiar voice calling out in the distance. 

   "Ninelie!" he exclaimed, his spirits lifting as he caught sight of her silhouette in the crowd.

With renewed determination, Ray closed the distance between them, his steps quickening with each passing moment. But as he drew nearer, a sense of unease washed over him—Ninelie's expression betrayed no recognition.

   "Ninelie!" Ray called out once more, his voice filled with urgency.

At the sound of her name, Ninelie turned to face him, her features shrouded in confusion. The smile that had begun to form on Ray's lips faltered, replaced by a creeping sense of dread.

   "...Who are you?" Ninelie asked, her words piercing the air like a dagger.

Ray's heart sank as he struggled to comprehend her response. The warmth that had enveloped him moments ago now dissipated, leaving behind a chilling emptiness.