TEN

TEN | Dream

TEN | Dream

[ Narrator's Perspective ]

Ninelie stood in the vast, open field, her eyes fixed intently on the House in the distance. The sight of it tugged at something deep within her, a flood of memories swirling just out of reach. The House stood resilient and unchanged, its familiar silhouette casting long shadows in the fading light. It seemed to exist outside the bounds of time, as if untouched by the years that had passed.

Her gaze traveled downward, and she noticed a small figure standing a few steps away. The girl had jet-black hair cascading down her shoulders and bright, amber eyes that gleamed with an unsettling intensity. She bore an uncanny resemblance to Ninelie, like a reflection from a different time.

Curiosity piqued, Ninelie moved closer, each step slow and deliberate. The girl didn't flinch or move away, simply watching her approach with an unwavering gaze. When Ninelie was close enough, she crouched down to the girl's level, her voice soft yet inquisitive. 

     "Who are you?" she asked.

The little girl looked up, her amber eyes locking onto Ninelie's with a piercing clarity, "Was it your fault?" she asked, her voice calm but carrying a weight that made Ninelie's heart pound.

Ninelie's brows furrowed in confusion. "...What?"

     "Was it you who killed me?"

Before Ninelie could react, the girl's form twisted and transformed. In an instant, she became a gruesome corpse, blood pouring from a gaping wound in her chest. The horror of the scene gripped Ninelie, and she felt herself being pulled into an abyss, the ground giving way beneath her feet.

With a gasp, Ninelie jolted awake, her heart racing and her breath coming in quick, shallow bursts. She found herself sitting upright in her seat, the familiar hum of the train around her. It took a moment for her to orient herself, to remember that she was still on the train bound for Area 01.

The darkness outside the window was impenetrable, the landscape shrouded in the depths of night. She glanced up at the digital clock, its soft glow illuminating the time and estimated arrival.