12

"Ok, who tripped the breaker and how did they do it?"

"Maybe someone threw a stone and hit it!"

"What if they used a remote control?"

The group debated for quite some time. They were still in the midst of figuring out who and what caused the blackout, but where barely emerging with any leads.

"It doesn't have to be the breaker, what if they caused a power surge?"

"Hey, I think that's it!" The edges of hajime's mouth shaped into a small, excited smile "that would explain the three irons in the storage room!"

"They were still on when we found them after the blackout." F/N recalled her, Hajime, and Nagito finding the irons together. The thought of the storage room returned, along with the musty smell and the cramped feeling it left them with.

"So by leaving the irons on in the storage room, they deliberately caused a power surge!" Mahiru proudly announced what Hajime was getting at.

"Hold on a second!" Nekomaru grunted. His torso was leaning over the wood stand as he jabbed his finger at Hajime "are you saying the killer turned on the irons to cause the blackout? That's impossible! They would have had to go all the way to the storage room, meaning everyone in the dining hall isn't a suspect."

"No, just because they were in the dining hall doesn't mean they're not a suspect."

"The people in the dining hall weren't able to cause the blackout! If the irons caused the blackout, they would have needed to turn them on! How could someone in the dining hall—"

"Nekomaru, the irons were just one part of the blackout." F/N finally figured out why he was arguing.

"She's right, the direct trigger was when the air conditioners in the office and dining hall turned on" Hajime silently thanked her with a quick nod "the timers for both air conditioners were set to 11:30 pm."

"11:30 pm...mr. ham hands died around that time too!" Hiyoko squeaked.

"They probably checked the old building's energy usage in advance, and used the irons to nearly max it out." Nagito directed everyone's attention away from Hiyoko's crude remark.

"So once they set up the air conditioners' timers, they just had to wait until they started up on their own."

"if so, even if Peko was in the office, it still would have been possible to cause a blackout!" Sonia brows furrowed as her face displayed pride in herself.

"Regarding the energy usage, they probably asked Monokuma about it."

"Dun-dun-dunnn!" Monokuma said in a sing-song voice. His taunts made some shiver, others glaring up at him with disappointment and disgust.

"Is she right? You hateful bear! you deserve to die a thousand deaths!" Monomi writhed in her bindings, slowly swinging side to side as she did.

"If I was in the office, I could have reset the break at any time....and maybe the murder wouldn't have occurred." Peko's eyes were trained to the floor, obviously trying to hide the guilt she was keeping inside.

"Peko, don't be so harsh on yourself. The breaker in the office was built into a high area of the wall that's impossible to reach. you don't need to blame yourself." F/N flashed her a heartbroken smile. Seeing her friend look so disheartened about something she couldn't have prevented was a sorry sight.

"Even so, the killer is so sly! I'm starting to think we might never actually find them."

"It's alright. you don't have to worry. Because..they're just a petty killer, right? They can't defeat symbols of hope like you guys!"