Ch 1- Responsibility is for losers

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead! Time to wake up!" I heard my annoying little brother chirp as he opened the curtains.

I groaned and turned away when sunshine hit my eyes.

It was so damn bright.

"Matthew!" I growled when he snatched the sheets away from me.

"It's 7:30, you should start getting up for school! Mr. Barns has been waiting for a while for us now, come on get up." He started to drag me out of the bed.

"Hey, hey, hey. Who do you think you are to drag me outta bed?" I stopped him.

"Mom ordered me to wake you up." Matthew answered, with a proud smile.

I rolled my eyes.

"Of course she did." I mumbled.

I stretched as I rose from the bed, not bothering to make the bed.. Cus screw that. I was already going to be late at school, Mom would understand.

Of course, my mom just had to greet me with her usual lecture.

"Emma!! It's 7:39!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm aware. I can read the clock, I have eyes too you know? I don't have dysl-"

"Don't talk back to Mom." Matthew just had to chime in.

"Shut it." I said, before sitting down and I started to eat.

As I ate, I looked at Matthew, who was looking at the window.

"Oh no! Mr. Barns is driving away." he said as he peeked through the window.

My mom crossed her arms as she looked at me.

I continued eating my breakfast, about to take a sip of my juice until I noticed them looking at me.

"What?" I said to both of them.

"Because of your laziness and irresponsibility, your brother's also going to miss the bus today!" My mom chided, before taking my bowl of cereal.

"But mom! I'm not finished yet!" I whined.

"Your brother waited for you, when he could've just left without you. I'd say you've eaten enough. Now off to class."

"But-"

"Off. To. Class." She repeated in a more serious tone.

I let out a sigh before walking out with Matt.

"Way to go Em. Now we have to walk to school. And possibly be late.." Matt sighed as we walked to our class.

"Whatever man. No big deal if we're late once... "

"Just once?" Matt raised an eyebrow.

"You've been late for the whole semester now."

"So?" I scoff as we continued walking.

"Don't you want to graduate 8th grade?" He asked.

"Pfff. I will graduate 8th grade. Don't worry about me four eyes."
I snatched his glasses off, snickering as he made a grab for them but missed.

"Emma!! I need my glasses!" He fretted.

I put them on, looking around.

"How the hell do you see in these? You must be really blind if these help." I tossed them back to him, but he ended up missing the throw.

"Hahaha!" Some boy around his age laughed as he passed by with his bike.

"What a loser!" He picked up Matt's glasses.

"H-hey give those back!" He exclaimed.

"You want these back? Sure." he dropped them on the ground before stomping on them.

"Hey! That's not cool!" I said to the kid.
He ignored me and got on his bike before leaving. I sighed as I picked them up and handed to them.

"They're all ruined.." Matt said sadly.

"Oh come on, quit being dramatic Matt. They're just fine-" I held onto them, a bit too tightly I assume since they suddenly broke into pieces.

"This is all your fault!" Matt shouted accusingly at me.

"Me?! What did I do?!" I shouted defensively.

"Was I the one who stomped on your stupid glasses?" I sass, arms crossed.

"No, but if you didn't have to mess around with them or be so darn late we would've been at school by now and this wouldn't have happened!" He argued.

I opened my mouth to speak but couldn't figure out what to argue back.

"I guess you have a point.." I admitted, the bell ringing a millisecond afterwards.

"Way to go, Emma. We're late now!" Matt said.

"We don't have to be though!" I blurted out.

"What do you mean? It's 8:10! Class started by now!"

"What I mean is, what if we don't go to school?"

"What?! No! We can't ditch school!" He started to shout until I clamped a hand against his mouth.

"Shhh. What if someone hears us?!" I whispered.

"Come on Matt, just for today Matt..."

He looked at me, unconvinced.

"If you let us ditch this once.. I'll do your chores for a week."

"Really?"

I nodded.

"Okay..." Matthew nodded slowly.

A grin formed on my face, and I uncrossed the fingers behind my back.

Do you really think I'd do that just for ditching?

Over my dead body.