mama? mom? - short story

"What is it?" Diana asked with her hands on her hips.

"It's a time machine." Akko told her.

"A time machine?" Diana asked as one of her eyebrows raised.

"A time machine!" Akko announced. "Croix has been developing it for months, it runs on magic." Akko explained as she pointed to a part of the time machine that held their wands and used some of the magic from it.

"Croix said that she wants me to be her guinea pig and try it out.. and I want you to come with me!" Akko explained.

Diana began to play with her hair. "Great. Alright. Let's try it out." Diana walked up on the platform of the time machine and retrieved her wand from her holster on her ribbon around her waist and placed it in the holder.

Akko did the same and joined Diana on the platform. There was a screen by the wandholders that allowed the time machine to be programmed to go to a specific date. "Where should we go?.. like.. 15 or so years into the future?" Akko asked Diana.

"Yeah. That'll be interesting if we see our future selves." Diana pointed out.

"Yeah it would." Akko agreed as she set the date to be exactly fifteen years into the future in a town right near the ley line of Luna Nova. Akko started up the time machine as she went to the left side of Diana, and reached for the blonde's hand. Akko and Diana held hands firmly as the time machine started up and then eventually zapped them away in a flash.

It felt like half of a second before Diana and Akko reappeared on the ground. Diana looked around. "This looks like the town alright."

Diana and Akko started to walk around the town. As they walked, they just talked and at sometimes forgot that they were fifteen years in the future. They talked about how not much things have changed from the present.

Suddenly, Akko's stomach growled loudly. "Can we stop somewhere to eat?"

Diana nodded. "I wonder how this would affect the space time continum." She muttered, both to herself and to Akko.

"Hm. Right? Imagine if we ran into like- our future selves or something." Akko said as she noticed a nearby sandwich shop and pointed towards it.

Diana noticed it too after Akko pointed it out and she said "or mine or your future children." She said as she opened the sandwich shop door, the door making a small ringing noise.

Inside of the shop were a few tables with chairs, and a place where the sandwich artists made the sandwiches. A kid, maybe 12 years old was sitting at one of the tables scrolling through his phone while eating a sandwich.

The kid looked up from his phone towards the door, so towards Diana and Akko. "Mama? Mom?"

Akko looked around, nobody else was around them. Akko looked at the kid and pointed as her and Diana, saying "us?" Diana was frozen.

"Who is this kid?!" Diana whispered to Akko.

"I have no idea but he apparently thinks that we're his moms?" Akko said, confused.

The kid got up and walked up to Akko and Diana. "What are you doing here? I thought you were back home with Emi." As the kid got closer, confusion grew on his face. "Wait. Hold up. Why do you guys look so much younger?"

Akko spoke in Japanese. "What do we do?"

Diana spoke in Japanese as well [I have a headcanon that Diana knows Japanese], "I don't know!"

The kid spoke back in Japanese. "What are you guys so worried about? It's just me. Again, why do you guys look so young? Is it some sort of age-changing magic?"