chapter 33

Jung swore to himself that the three of them were cursed―him and Yeonha and Bom

He had been experiencing a series of shitty days. On top of that, he had finally rejected Taek as subtly as he could. However, Taek had figured out why he had been rejected. It was because Jung refused to move on from Byul, the guy he had fancied so. Many. Books ago. And it hadn't sat well with him.

All of Jung and Taek's conversations played out in a similar manner these days.

"Taek, can you pass me the test tube."

"Oh, gee. I'm flattered by your affections towards me but I just can't."

"FOR FUCK'S SAKE, IT'S BEEN THREE DAYS. LET IT GO!"

And if getting the cold shoulder from him wasn't bad enough, Jung had spent nights together keeping a watch on Driver Kim. Yeonha had no idea how many times Jung had saved her from the madman. (Besides, he had himself lost count)

Jung had gone insane with worry when Haru had casually called him and asked if he had seen his sister anywhere, last weekend. The boy had run up and down the city looking for her. That asshat, Baek Kyung, wasn't picking up his phone either. It wasn't until Bom called him and said that they had gone to the beach together (which isn't code for aaanything, she had emphasized) that he calmed down. Then he was angry. For a long time.

At school, all he had done was take his eyes off of Yeonha for one measly hour to get some shuteye that he very much deserved. It wasn't as if he had left her wandering the streets, no. Jung had left her with Bom and Taek and half a dozen of their classmates.

However, only 1% of him was surprised when he walked into the cafeteria looking for his friends and found Jinmichae and Taek crouched behind the kitchen counter. The tables and chairs were either scattered, turned upside down, or broken. Bom was in a corner on all fours, completely blind, with her fingers twitching for her missing glasses.

Yeonha had her back to the kitchen counter. Her jaw was bruised. She grit her teeth with every movement as she tried to dodge Driver Kim's gigantic-fucking-sharp-looking-dangerous-ass sword.

"Let me kill you," The man swung his weapon (like a novice, Jung realized), "and your friends will probably survive."

He feinted and made towards a clueless Bom, who was still feeling the ground for her spectacles. Yeonha panicked and body slammed Kim, throwing him against the wall. Jung took the opportunity and dragged the tiny girl to where the others were hiding.

"Stop. Struggling." He hissed at Bom, "It's me.You―" He glared at Jinmichae who was shivering and sweating, "Grab a fucking knife or something."

"W―what?" The blond stammered, wiping the perspiration off his temple. He winced at the sound of a loud crash and Yeonha crying out.

Jung grabbed the nearest thing that could substitute as a weapon: a wooden rolling pin. He glanced at Jinmichae for a second, "Taek, stay hidden. You can't fight. Jinmi, get up and find a knife. She needs help. Or he'll get you too."